• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Screw terminal connector and stripping cat5 inner cores

Does anybody care to share wire stripping techniques for stripping the inner cores of cat5 cable? the wire strippers I use cut through the insulation where they grip the wire. I have found some precision wire strippers but they come in individual awg sizes and I am not sure on the awg of the inner cores of cat5.
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

After trialling everything from several types of wire strippers, scalpels, scissors and hot tweezers i've decided the good old human incisor is both the most capable and portable tool.
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

CAT5 is normally 24 gauge
      I used to use a small craft knife but its not very safe for the fingers. With practice a pair of small precision wire cutters work well. And a wire stripper like this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ipper&doy=18m6 also works well.
      Teeth aren't the best even though they work well. Just ask your dentist.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

I'd agree with toscal but if you're stuck, a bad old habit gained in my youth which I sometimes still use (dare I admit it here), are a pair of nail clippers. Softer old ones are better since you can better feel the wire

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

how about :

(various options)
          Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• milkattable2
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Sep 2004

:-)

Reminds me of something...

Many years ago I used to do the teeth cable stripping thing when stuck.

Then one day when stripping a phone pair in a customers garage, some bugger rang the phone line.

and yes it hurt.

Didn't do it again after that :-)

Comment

• JonS
              Automated Home Guru
              • Dec 2007

I've got a pair of strippers from maplin and I really do not rate them for stranded cable that I used. In the end I used a modelling knife and knicked the insulationi front and back and then pinched off with my nails between index finger and thumb. Worked well for me!
              JonS

Comment

• Gumby
                • May 2004

I inherited a pair of wire strippers from my Dad that have scallops for the different wire gauges. Absolutely brilliant (as long as you don't get the wrong scallop) but I've never seen them anywhere. Vitrex or Volex I think. I dread these ones wearing out.

I wonder if wire wrap strippers are close enough gauge or could be modified ?
                ----------------------
                www.gumbrell.com

Comment

Working...
                X