• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Off and Running

I now have my first "room" set up and working on my workbench. The sound of relays clicking away based on varying conditions is really quite satisfying. The room itself is wired ready for the actual fitting of the modules tomorrow. I have also added a few magnetic switches in the doors (pics to follow).
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

wonder if the clicking of relays will be quite so satisfying long-term ... wonder if it might be worth resiliently mounting the modules (eg: by bedding the modules / back-boxes on / in some some form of foam) ?
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Andrew Millne
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Nov 2007

Yeah time will tell I suppose. If I wasn't retro-fitting I probably would be star-wiring the lights on DIN dimmers in any case.

Well its all in and working quite nicely. I am using 2 x Dual Button modules, 1 x PIR, Light Level and Temperature, 2 x magnetic door switches and a 2-way pull cord attached to both of the digital inputs on the PIR/Light/Temp with both inputs set to toggle the light. Effectively this is a 2 room setup as there is also a small walk in wardrobe with seperate light and switch where the second DRB is in use.

I am still trying to figure out the effects of overriding the PIR and light level on button presses. I can't work out whether pressing the button will permanently override the occupancy detection until it is pressed again or not. Some more reading of the manual needed I think.

Next for this room is a magnetic window switch mounted on the top and bottom window sashes and then I'll look at the heating. Central heating is a little out of my budget at the moment but most of the bedrooms have a mains gas supply. Anybody any suggestions for this?

Pics tomorrow.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Nov 2007

Here are a few pics of the first room of my installation.
        Attached Files

Comment

• JonS
          Automated Home Guru
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
          wonder if the clicking of relays will be quite so satisfying long-term ... wonder if it might be worth resiliently mounting the modules (eg: by bedding the modules / back-boxes on / in some some form of foam) ?
          I've retro-fitted in most of the house and to be honest the relay click is not obtrusive, you could even argue it is reassuring. As the relays in room at the oment only control lights there is a click on entry and I can hear the hall/landing lights click off from an adjacent room. Certainly not worth spending ages trying to eliminate IMO.
          JonS

Comment

• n07tv
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • May 2004

I'd agree with Jon, I find it re-assuring that something has switched.

N.

Comment

Working...
            X