• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Gas Fires

Seeing as there is already mains gas piped to most of the rooms in my house and the fact I wish to avoid electrical heating what are my options regarding gas fires? Has anybody using the Idratek system automated a gas fire? I would imagine gas fires with electrical starters are quite common but how difficult would it be to vary the output rather than have just a simple on/off?
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

'imagine people will be nervous about this one ... unattended gas fires, etc ... maybe unnecessarily, if they already have a good level of protection built-in, against flame not igniting, going-out, etc ... if that side's OK, then smoke & heat & CO sensors might still be a good idea, linked through Cortex, say ... hmmm ... tricky !!
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• qba
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2008

Hello,
      In my case central heating has its own automation and as additional protection I have installed gas detector , and electric valve on gas pipe. In case of leak detection valve is closed. You can add smoke detector and link it as well.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

I have a client who has an infrared remote control to switch on, off and control his gas fire. If you want I can give him a call to find out the make. I see there is an Infrared Transmitter available so I guess its just a question of programming the correct codes and away you go.
        Like qba I would recommend gas leakage detectors and or carbon monoxide detectors for each room you have a gas fire in. And some form of automatic valve on the gas supply so it can cut the supply off.
        We actually supply a special valve controller that is designed so that it clips on to the pipe and has a clamp that attaches to the tap.
        The controller then needs a 12v supply for about 3 seconds to switch off the tap. To switch it back on you need to do it manually, via a small spring loaded pull switch to de-clutch the motor. So the valve can never be turned on accidentally once off.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Andrew Millne
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Nov 2007

Infrared Remote controlled fires could be a good option, thanks for that. I was thinking an analogue output module linked to a temperature sensor would provide the best control but would also be the hardest to set up and would probably mean messing with the fire itself, so Remote controlled sounds like a good (possibly safer as well) compromise. A quick Google has thrown up Burley a few times but if anybody has any specific reccomendations then that would be great.

Toscal could you please provide more details for the valve controller that you supply.

I have already started looking at linking in smoke/co2/heat detectors to the Idratek system and have one ready to test, just need to sort out a small voltage drop in order to use it with the idranet. The one I am planning on using is 12V and has a relay which I intend to link with a digital input on an Idratek module. I have some more to discuss regarding this but I will post in the dedicated smoke detector thread to keep things here on topic.
          Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

I will see If I can gets some photos of the valve controller for you (its not in an easy place to get to) and also get the make of the clients fire.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• ukhauk
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Apr 2006

My parents have a fire that's operated by an rf remote, It stopped working last year I found the fault was the gas valve controller made by a company called dungs http://www.dungs.com/en/index.html

The controller has two digital inputs low flame and high flame

when you select low flame it opens a pilot valve and attemps for 4 seconds to light. if the pilot lights the low flame gas valve opens.

something like that would be ideal because it has all the safety features built in.

The HT lead also acts as the thremocouple

I expect they also do a modulating valve / controller which you could send a 0-10 volt signal

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

The fire is a Gazco Model Riva 67. http://www.stovax.com/ . Many of their fires can have a remote. But I think its RF not IR.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

Here is a photo of the motorized valve mechanism.
                  The good thing with it is that it just clips over the pipework and clamps to the valve. So no need to get the gas man in to fit it.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by toscal; 27 June 2008, 10:34 AM.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X