• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nad
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jul 2008

Idratek and Vaillant Boiler

Hi all,

I've been looking into home automation for a while an I've settled on Idratek as it meets pretty much all my requirements ...which brings me to 1st hurdle.

I'm about to get a new boiler installed and have decided to go with the Valliant 937 and would like to know what's the best way of integrating this?

Also ... I'll be having my central heating system reworked, so would it be best to put in electro mechanical control valves or idratek TRVs? I'd like to have temperature control of each room individually so I'm thinking the TRVs may be better and a lot more easier on the old wallet.

Thanks in advance.
    Nad
  • n07tv
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2004

Nad,

My system has a relay module (SRH in my case, but can use any DRB, SRH, DRH, QRI, QRH) across the thermostat contacts. In other words the relay closes like a room thermostat 'demanding' heat from the boiler.

Individual rooms can use standard TRV valves, but fitted with a powered actuator (rather than the supplied thermostat) such as the RVA-001. In this way, each room or zone can have it's own profile, controlled via the valve. I have replaced 5 of my TRV with RVA's as they are a direct screw fit replacement (M30 x 1.5 I think).

Regards,
    N.

Comment

• Gumby
      • May 2004

Got the same sort of setup here. Works with my Vaillant bolier, although mine is getting on a bit.

I ran a mains grade T+E and an Idratek run to a wallplate next to each radiator. Currently the T+E is used for 24V supply to the RVA actuators, and the supplies are switched centrally using DIN relay module. The Idranet cable gives me some future proofing in case it would be advantageous at some point to have an Idranet module near the radiator.

The best approach for you will depend on the reworking of your central heating system you are planning vs the running in of (at least) a 24V cable to the RVAs.

You also need a temperature sensor in each room of course.
      ----------------------
      www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Nad
        Automated Home Guru
        • Jul 2008

Thanks for your reply Gumby, I've been following your antics on your blog site or a while and it's been most instightful.

I've decided to go with running a c-bus cat5 cable to each RVA point. The zoning was working out to be too costly at his point in time.

I've also gone for a Vaillant VRC430 Weather Compensator ... which is cool in it's self and give me more control over the boiler, but it does make it a bit more difficult integrating it with Cortx. Going to have to look into it a bit more and see what can be done with it.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Gumby
          • May 2004

I've got a suspicion that you could do weather compensation through Cortex, especially if you fit an outdoor sensor. Such a sensor will also give you light and humidity, which may be useful for other things. Might be worth checking if you haven't already committed to the Vaillant sensor.
          ----------------------
          www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Nad
            Automated Home Guru
            • Jul 2008

Already committed I'm afraid, it should be installed in the next couple of days.

One of the main reasons I went with the 430 was the controll over the 937's built in hot water storage cylinder. Where as I didn't want it being kept at temperature all the time (using up expencive gas) as we are only at home in the morning and the evening during the week.

I'm sure I should be able to use the advanced features of the 430 by mounting it in the boiler control panel and then have a regular thermostat contact which i can connect cortex to like you have done.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X