Thread: iPhone 3G stuff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default iPhone 3G stuff

> Still getting used to typing on it. Not as easy as my BB.

I takes a while but I can type fast on mine no probs. Important you watch this video right thru to understand it - 9 times out of 10 just continuing to type and hitting spacebar will result the in the word you wanted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GOvt4mwwi4

My 2 top tips - double click space bar at end of sentence to insert full
    stop. And to insert a non-alpha character press and HOLD the button
    bottom left, slide to your symbol and then release.

> Screen rotation only seems to work in safari

It works in Photos, Calculator etc, not in email if thats what you mean.

> and can't get it to work with my IMAP accounts.

Works great here. What's your setup? You need to manually enter the passwords for incoming and outgoing servers on the phone btw as thse don't come over on syncing.

HTH.

M.

Angry

Well - having had an iPhone for nearly 8 hours now I still haven't been able to activate it - very frustrating and O2's response of 'sorry we've sold a lot more than we thought and everything's crashing. Keep trying, possibly in day a or so when everything's calmed down' is a gem

K

Automated Home Sr Member Quinten's Avatar

My evening hasn't faired much better. I don't run OSX or Windows, so I tried yesterday iTunes in a VirtualBox (Virtual Machine software) and it seemed to work fine... until I plugged the iPhone in

Am now installing XP on my laptop for dual-booting into it, but am missing loads of Dell drivers which I first have to locate

And in the mean time, the iPhone just lies there... being attractive, but effectively a doorstop

Kevin - the entire launch has been a shocker from a IT point of view. The O2 farce on Monday, then again this morning in store, then the Apple's own server issues once the US kicked in this afternoon. Activation seems to be working again now though.

Q - Oh dear. Running Windows or Mac is kind of a prerequisite for iTunes, but then you knew that already right

M.

You are not alone with registration problems. Check this article out. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7501321.stm
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Just got it registered now - a few minutes before midnight ... I know I'm going to like it once it's all working - it's just a bit of spoiler that things were so fraught today.
    The worst aspect was I ordered for collection in store (CPW), arrived and they had my phone which had already been paid for - but their computers had glitched and they couldn't clear the order for release, two hours later still the same so they thought best to cancel my web order, move the unit back into store stock and sell me it... what a mistake... the stock was instantly consumed by their system and couldn't be re-added.

A bizarre situation - my unit in my hands - so near but so far..... I felt like doing a runner from the store... the staff in fairness were very good , it's just the system that all went wrong. In the end I believe they had to mark the goods as faulty and then re-jig the stock system- 4 hours after entering the shop I could leave with my prepaid goods...

K