• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • manuscript
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2008

sources for momentary/retractive switches

Hi All,

A newby question for you. Many home automation systems need to be connected to momentary switches. Do you guys have any suggested places to find decent looking ones?

Thanks to an email from Karam at Idratek I've found retractive switch modules that fit grid systems from MG and Legrange and look good. Ideally, though, I'd also have some brushed brass faceplates with many (upto 8 in a single-width plate) separate small push buttons suitable for use as 0V momentary switches. I see this sort of thing in many proprietary HA systems. Is there a source for those of us interested in rolling our own?

(Note: I can find grids with blank module plates that could presumably be drilled to take push switches -- but I haven't found any switches that don't look like they belong in a homebrew electronics project.)

m.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

How about something like this?. The photo is not that clear If you want a better one, then I will send you one when I am in the office tomorrow.
    They come in momentary or latched. Blue, green , red and amber. LED is 220v ac or 12v dc. Switch is rated at 250v ac. Hole dia 18mm.
    Attached Files
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• manuscript
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jul 2008

Thanks, Toscal. Those definitely look better than what I've found so far. But at >18mm it might be cramped to get more than 4 or so on a single-gang switch plate.

What I'm trying to emulate is something like this (to pick a random source).

Since I don't really want to try drilling holes in brass the buttons would probably be mounted onto a plastic blank module plate within a grid system. They don't need to be power-rated; this will just be used to close the 0V digital input ports on idratek hardware located elsewhere.

m.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

how about :

oops ... perhaps not, just realised they're even larger than toscal's
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 17 July 2008, 07:15 PM.
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Paul_B
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2006

Manuscript,

Have a look at the Get plc Ultimate range, http://www.getplc.com/connect/ultimate/ do a very good range and also the single switches are repeated in the grid range which is very useful. I have also found they look very similar to the Chelsea range from TLC-Direct which is much cheaper for wall sockets, etc

Paul

Comment

• neilhooper
            Automated Home Guru
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by toscal View Post
            How about something like this?. The photo is not that clear If you want a better one, then I will send you one when I am in the office tomorrow.
            They come in momentary or latched. Blue, green , red and amber. LED is 220v ac or 12v dc. Switch is rated at 250v ac. Hole dia 18mm.
            toscal, do you know where to get these ?

Neil
            Last edited by neilhooper; 13 December 2008, 12:19 AM. Reason: Bad gramma

Comment

• MichaelD
              Automated Home Guru
              • Mar 2006

Just wonder if its getting difficult to get brass because it went out of fashion about five years ago, perhaps it would be a good time to go for brushed steel / chrome, something a bit more contemporary?

I'd recommend the Get Ultimate stuff, it looks very good and has a wide range of options. I think they may still do an 80s retro brass look too ;-)

Comment

Working...
              X