X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Pc problems

I have a PC running Xp pro Sp2, that won't boot up on the first attempt. Comes up with non system disk error please replace etc. When I do a Ctrl + Alt + Del the PC boots up fine.
    A troubleshooting chart I have suggested a power supply problem caused by a premature power_ok signal. Replaced power supply and still the same.
    Reseated all cables etc as well. Checked bios for any silly things. Have SATA selected as IDE channel.
    Spec for PC are
    Motherboard: GA-M68SM-S2
    CPU: AMD 4000+
    2Gb Ram
    250Gb Sata Hard drive
    One DVD lightscribe rewriter
    one DVD CD/RW
    One floppy drive.
    Windows XP pro SP2 and all current updates except SP3
    Mouse, keyboard and 19" wide screen monitor.

Any one have any suggestions. Apart from hitting it with a hammer.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

Can you get it to boot into safe mode at the first attempt? (press F8 during start-up)

Sounds like the error you get when you leave a floppy disk in the drive by mistake...

Can you disable all other drives in the BIOS (CD, DVD & floppy) and see if it boots ok then?

If that checks out you may have some errors on your main hard drive.
    Make sure you back up the data on it, then make sure the backup is ok, and *only* then look at fixing errors on the hard drive ("chkdsk /f" I think) and/or "repairing" windows.

HTH,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

That's what I first thought. But all optical and floppy drives where disconnected. Once I have backed up the drive I will see about looking and fixing errors on the hard drive.

Fingers crossed.
      Many thanks Tim
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
      X