• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • finbarmw
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2008

green switch

Dear All,

I was wondering what the general opinion on this technology was please?

Here is a link to the website: www.greenswitch.tv

I am sure many of you will have encountered it already, but it is a single switch which turns off lights, all chosen appliances and sets thermostats to economy mode.

I was wondering what are its advantages/ disadvantages compared to other home automation kits considering that the basic price is around $1,200.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

The green switch will have to consume some power. These devices normally consume just under a watt. Many new Flat screen TVs when on standby now consume about the same.
    Also with the green switch you have a one feature system. So you wouldn't be able to turn on lights via events or based on conditions.
    With any home automation system you get more control. You could set it up so that when you leave the house the sockets are switched off, the temperature is automatically set back. And then when you return you could set it up so that, outside lights come on and only certain sockets come back on straight away, and others turn on an hour or so later for example. I have set up a bedtime setting. So when we go to bed, I press this button on the remote (same remote that is used for the TV, DVD etc) and over a 10 minute period the lights and some sockets gradually turn off. Much better than an all off approach.
    I guess you are in the US so for 1200 dollars you could get quite a complex home automation system up and running this would also have basic security functions as well. Take a look at www.csi3.com for their Homevision controller.
    And look at www.smarthome.com as well for more ideas.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
    X