X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

Cortex on WHS ?

I am toying with trying Cortex on Windows Home Server - (as the only other application). Anyone already done this ?

Unfortunately my previous server for Cortex suffered a complete hard disk failure so I am going to start over from fresh on a new one. In a way this was appropriate anyway as I learned a lot from my first foray and now have an opportunity to approach it better and redo the layouts. In truly 'stupid' mode I found I had kept my backup of the configuration on the same physical hard disk - albeit a different partition , and so I lost it - so just a reminder to you all to backup your configuration carefully.

It crossed my mind that Idratek could perhaps offer a 'value add' via the Cortex updater whereby they backed up your configuration daily on their servers for you. Not sure how people would feel about this but I for one would have appreciated it.

Kevin
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Hi Kevin,

I don't know if Cortex will install on WHS (Windows Home Server), I know most things do but can need a bit of effort. I run Cortex on Windows Server 2003, have a Technet subscription, this works just fine.

A few people have had issues with RDP sessions from client to server but these are normal fixed by using the console session (now renamed by MS to /admin on latest RDP client under Vista to comply with Windows 2008). Leaving the sound, COM ports, etc at the remote server (not the normal settings for a RDP session.

Let us know how you go? What HW are you going for?

Paul

Comment

• JonS
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2007

I do not know much about WHS but Vista is being pushed hard and XP may not be available much longer.
      So what is the Idratek OS of choice when XP is withdrawn?

Didn't WHS have problems with data integrity on remote disks?

Jon
      JonS

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

>XP may not be available much longer

says:

Support for Windows XP without a service pack (RTM) ended on September 30, 2004 ... support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 and 1a ended on October 10, 2006 ... mainstream support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 will end on April 14, 2009, four years after its general availability ... the company will stop licensing Windows XP to OEMs & terminate retail sales of the operating system June 30, 2008, 17 months after the release of Windows Vista ... on April 14, 2009, Windows XP will begin its Extended Support period that will last for 5 years, until April 8, 2014 ...
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Paul_B
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2006

Didn't WHS have problems with data integrity on remote disks?
          Yes WHS had a problem, however this is reportedly fixed with the release of SP1 which has just been released

Comment

• Karam
            Automated Home Legend
            • Mar 2005

Some adjustments were recently made to Cortex so that it will run in Vista. However not extensively tested so the recommendation remains XP for the time being.

Comment

Working...
            X