• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hilljd00
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2008

Confused

Hey,

Just starting out in home automation and well im abit confused about the best option[s] for me.

I'm 20 years old and disabled due to a motorcycle accident. I am about to rent my first flat which is nearly finished construction.

I want to make the flat as automated as possible to help me out.

I have been looking at using a X10 setup with Homeseer.

I am building a server to hold all my films, music and pictures etc but I am hoping I can use it to control the X10 equipment aswell.

Is their an easy way to stream my video content some of it is HD from the media server to the TV in the bedroom.

I have already bought a Logitech Squeezebox Duet already to stream the music content off the media server to the girl friends HI-FI.

Your thoughts please

Jon
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

For media streaming have a look at the Pinnacle Showcenter.
    I have had a love hate relationship with mine I have the older 1000G. It took me months to convince Pinnacle that there was a problem with the wireless link and I knew what I was talking about. It took over 15 emails to finally get them to send me the form to finally in to return the product and get a replacement. What I got back was actually my original one with a new wifi card. Which is what I told them in the first place was wrong.Despite all this I still like it.
    Even though it has wireless connectivity as well as a network connector I wouldn't use the wireless bit. Films become choppy and forget HD via a wireless connection unless you are no more than 20cm away in the same room and no obstructions of any kind.
    The Showcenter plays virtually any type of media file you throw at it. For the ones it can't it maybe able to convert it to a readable format.
    If you have a TV tuner card in your PC then the Showcenter can control this as well. Apart from scheduling recordings you can even start a recording at say 15 minutes later start to watch it. Ideal if the phone rings.
    For more info http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...ter+250+HD.htm
    There is also some homebrew software for it as well at http://www.swisscenter.co.uk/
    As for X10 don't forget to use a whole house filter as this helps to improve signal quality and prevents X10 signals either leaving or entering the house.
    Homeseer is an excellent piece of software especially if you couple it with Main Lobby. You can produce an excellent touchscreen user interface.
    Main Lobby at www.cinemarsolutions.com .
    Another option would be to use a Homevision box. This is a stand alone box which means if you want the PC is only connected during programming. This is the current setup I have. Its never crashed in over 2 years. And when we have had power cuts it comes back on almost instantly and sorts itself out. So if a light was switched on (via a timer in Homevision) during the power cut it will switch this light on if it should still be on. More info at www.csi3.com
    Also one of the users has written an interface program similar to the original but it will work on Windows and Linux not too sure about the Mac though. This comes with more features and plugins such as a touchscreen control plugin. http://hv.tclcode.com/
    If you need any more help with X10 or anything just ask.
    Last edited by toscal; 13 August 2008, 10:01 AM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• hilljd00
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by toscal View Post
      For media streaming have a look at the Pinnacle Showcenter.
      I have had a love hate relationship with mine I have the older 1000G. It took me months to convince Pinnacle that there was a problem with the wireless link and I knew what I was talking about. It took over 15 emails to finally get them to send me the form to finally in to return the product and get a replacement. What I got back was actually my original one with a new wifi card. Which is what I told them in the first place was wrong.Despite all this I still like it.
      Sounds good, I will have a look

Even though it has wireless connectivity as well as a network connector I wouldn't use the wireless bit. Films become choppy and forget HD via a wireless connection unless you are no more than 20cm away in the same room and no obstructions of any kind.
      As the flat is not mine, im renting i will be using network plugs.

The Showcenter plays virtually any type of media file you throw at it. For the ones it can't it maybe able to convert it to a readable format.

If you have a TV tuner card in your PC then the Showcenter can control this as well. Apart from scheduling recordings you can even start a recording at say 15 minutes later start to watch it. Ideal if the phone rings.
      I have the Hauupage 4000 which i bought from ebuyer because it said you can plug Sky and/or Cable feed straight in and it will work... Which it doesnt

For more info http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...ter+250+HD.htm
      There is also some homebrew software for it as well at http://www.swisscenter.co.uk/
      Will do

As for X10 don't forget to use a whole house filter as this helps to improve signal quality and prevents X10 signals either leaving or entering the house.
      Would i need it for a flat?

Homeseer is an excellent piece of software especially if you couple it with Main Lobby. You can produce an excellent touchscreen user interface.
      cool

Main Lobby at www.cinemarsolutions.com .
      Another option would be to use a Homevision box. This is a stand alone box which means if you want the PC is only connected during programming. This is the current setup I have. Its never crashed in over 2 years. And when we have had power cuts it comes back on almost instantly and sorts itself out. So if a light was switched on (via a timer in Homevision) during the power cut it will switch this light on if it should still be on. More info at www.csi3.com
      Also one of the users has written an interface program similar to the original but it will work on Windows and Linux not too sure about the Mac though. This comes with more features and plugins such as a touchscreen control plugin. http://hv.tclcode.com/
      If you need any more help with X10 or anything just ask.
      Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X