• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nad
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jul 2008

Idratek PIRs and Alarms

Hi there,

I was wondering if it was possible to have the Idratek PIRs connected to Idranet and have them connected to a standalone alarm system at the same time? I.e. PIR/ Cortex for automation purposses and PIR/ House Alarm for security.

Thanks in advance.
  • Gumby
    • May 2004

My understanding is that this would not be possible. The Idratek PIRs are designed to connect to the dedicated Idranet bus, whereas alarm systems are typically looking for a contact open/closure type interface.

However, there are other possibilities. Firstly, the Idratek system can perform security/alarm functions as well, probably more sophisticated ones than typical alarm panels and these integrate very well into the whole system.

Secondly it would be feasible to mirror the PIR state to another Idratek interface module using Reflex packets and connect that an alarm system. However, this adds extra dependencies into your alarm system and I cannot see that it makes much sense.

Third, you might be able to turn your logic on it's head and use alarm type PIRs and connect those to both if they have dual outputs (ie both NC and NO).

So it all depends on what you are trying to achieve
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• John Winter
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Dec 2007

I agree - I guess you could set up Cortex to output the status of its PIR's (via a DIO or similar) to your alarm panel - it would probably be easier and (inherently more secure) to do it the other way round though, using your panel's PIRs interfaced to Cortex. That's what I've done.
      Last edited by John Winter; 21 August 2008, 07:50 PM.
      --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Comment

• qbatqbat
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2008

Have to agree with both replys. I use the same technique as John and have PIR's wired to the alarm which has outputs wired via relays into inputs of Idratek modules (Texecom Premier 48 alarm panel). Therefore nothing should be messing with the reliability of the alarm.

If your alarm panel does not have custom output or you don't want to mess around with it, but you don't mind a little electronics you could get yourself a standard alarm PIR (which has a normally closed output) and an appropriate diode and relay. Wire the alarm +/-12V across the normally closed PIR output and through the the relay coil and put a diode across the relay coil also. Then you can use the 2 independent relay contacts, one for the alarm and one for an idratek input.... As I'm no electronics expert you may not want to do that unless you are or somebody else agrees with me

Comment

• Nad
          Automated Home Guru
          • Jul 2008

Thanks for thereplies guys.

As currently I don't have an alarm ... it would make sense to go with one that allos me to have multiple ouputs driven by the alarms own PIR sensors.

That settles that then

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X