• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SimonP
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2004

Security Camera Video and Power down the same cable

Hi,

I'd like only use one cable to my security cameras. They require either 9 or 12 volts and send an RF signal back. At the moment I use precut lengths of cable from Henrys or other sites that have the power connector and a BNC connector at each end. But they are fixed lengths and not that easy to feed through conduit etc.

I'd like to feed the 12v down the RG58 as well as the RF. I think that should be possible with care as this is how mast-head TV amplifiers are powered.

I think I should put capacitors at each end to isolate the RF from the low voltage but I'm not sure what values etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Simon
  • milkattable2
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2004

Re: Security Camera Video and Power down the same cable

Simon,

How much cable do you need? I have a large amount of high qaulity RG6 cable which has a 2 pair bonded to the side. You could use the 2 pair to power up the cams etc. From the end the cable looks like this Oo

let me know and i'm sure we can come to some agreement :-)

Comment

• v8dave
      • Mar 2024

I wouldn't be using RG58 for your video if I where you. That is a 50ohm cable and normally for RF based system such as CB, GPS etc.

What you want is RG59 or URM70 if you want stranded core.

Regards
      Dave...

Comment

• AnOldMan
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jul 2004

Of course this only works for DC cameras, not AC.

Just a small .01 mfd ceramic disc capacitor will work fine.
        Remember you need a capacitor in series of the center conductor at BOTH ENDS!

You can buy dc blocks for catv if you're really lazy and don't want to solder. They just have the wrong connectors most times so you have to buy adapters as well.

Comment

• CCTV_Spud_
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Nov 2004

You can get cable that has RG59 75ohm as well as a twin core cable for running 12/24v to a camera.

I have used the cable many times on a large install and not had any problems, although I do prefer to run single cables one for signal and one for power.

You can get special CCTV power boxes that you put 240v into one side and get 8 individually fused outputs the other side, again I have used these and they are superb, the only thing you have to remember is you must have your power box and CCTV unit be it DVR/TAPE/MULTIPLEXER etc in the same place, or you have to split the cable anyway to get it to go where u need.

If you need any more help let me know, I am a CCTV installer anyway so I could get some prices from work for cable and power boxes etc.

Comment

Working...
          X