• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliffwright
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2007

Home Automation Industry

Hi All . . .

I'm at a cross roads career-wise and I've been thinking about changing direction slightly and moving more towards the home automation industry.

I'd love to get into design, install & support of all manner of home automation technologies but just don't know where to start and how one would go about getting that 'foot in the door'.

I'm currently an IT Tester in financial services but a lot of my skills would be transferable.

I've emailed Peter @ Cedia UK looking for courses but have yet to receive a response.

Can anyone offer me any advice please?

Thanks

Cliff Wright
    www.clifford-wright.co.uk/blog
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

An obvious starting point would be to get into structured cabling, (since you would already know about CAT5 etc). Have a look at Abitana www.abitana.com And then take it from there. I've also sent you a PM as well.
    Try to go to the next Smart Home exhibition or similar and then see what systems you would want to install.
    What do you want to do
    1. just the cabling,
    2. just whole house audio,
    3. just home automation,
    4. just Home cinema systems
    or a combination of the above.
    One course that would be of use is an electricians course that would enable you to certify your own work, probably something with Part P included. That way you won't need to get an electrician in just to hook up Node zero to that new mains spur you just put in.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• dazzlevw
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Sep 2006

cliff,
      When I emailed Peter a couple of years back, each CEDIA course (Installer 1,Installer 2 etc....) was priced at about £1200 I think. I think they've just started running them through the year rather than just at the expo.

Daz
      -----------------------------
      www.darrenwright.me.uk
      www.gbpvr.com
      www.slimdevices.com

Comment

Working...
      X