Thread: More strange IR behaviour

Automated Home Lurker

Default More strange IR behaviour

Hi all,

Wondered if anyone has ever seen this scenario? I've had a KAT5 transmitter and receiver working perfectly for some time now, although at the receiver I have to aim the Sky+ remote off to the side as other people have posted about before, not a big deal. Yesterday though, the main Sky+ box stopped responding to the remote or was very sluggish in responding. Same for the far end location too. Then the Sky box responded with a message that the batteries needed to be changed. Even with fresh batteries in both Sky+ remotes this behaviour continues. The only way to get normal operation at the main telly is to power off the Kat5 transmitter. Looking at the IR stick-on "eye" on the Sky box, it has a red light that is flashing in sync with the audio on the current channel although no other remotes are in use in the room.

I'm going to try an rf2link unit (http://www.pacelink.co.uk/rf2link.htm) as advised to others. Just wondering if I anyone else has seen this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ciaranjd View Post
    Hi all,

Wondered if anyone has ever seen this scenario? I've had a KAT5 transmitter and receiver working perfectly for some time now, although at the receiver I have to aim the Sky+ remote off to the side as other people have posted about before, not a big deal. Yesterday though, the main Sky+ box stopped responding to the remote or was very sluggish in responding. Same for the far end location too. Then the Sky box responded with a message that the batteries needed to be changed. Even with fresh batteries in both Sky+ remotes this behaviour continues. The only way to get normal operation at the main telly is to power off the Kat5 transmitter. Looking at the IR stick-on "eye" on the Sky box, it has a red light that is flashing in sync with the audio on the current channel although no other remotes are in use in the room.

I'm going to try an rf2link unit (http://www.pacelink.co.uk/rf2link.htm) as advised to others. Just wondering if I anyone else has seen this?

Thanks
    You have a fault on your CAT5 cabling, possible a bad connection on either the left or right audio channel. The blue and green pairs in the cable. It could also be a fault in either of the KAT5 units but a cable fault or poor connection is more likely

The IR data from the receiver is sent as a "phantom" signal over the two audio pairs and due to the way balanced transmission works this causes no interference. The fact that the audio is making the IR emitter flash indicates that something has upset the balanced nature of the circuit. It could be a wire open circuit, or shorted to ground or another wire if the cable has been crushed.

Another indication of this fault would be that you would most likely hear a pipping sound in sympathy with the mimic LED on the IR reciever when sending IR.

The fact that the IR emitter is blinking all the time is what is causing all the problems with the SKY box as it cant decode genuine IR signals due to the excess noise.

A Pacelink RF2 is definately more reliable and neater than an IR emitter but whilst the fault condition exists you wont cure your problem

I have two Sky+ boxes in use via KAT5 and both use IR emitters with no problem. One of the boxes also has an RF2 link from Tivo which is IR controlled over KAT5

Hope that helps

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by katman View Post
    You have a fault on your CAT5 cabling, possible a bad connection on either the left or right audio channel. The blue and green pairs in the cable. It could also be a fault in either of the KAT5 units but a cable fault or poor connection is more likely

The IR data from the receiver is sent as a "phantom" signal over the two audio pairs and due to the way balanced transmission works this causes no interference. The fact that the audio is making the IR emitter flash indicates that something has upset the balanced nature of the circuit. It could be a wire open circuit, or shorted to ground or another wire if the cable has been crushed.

Another indication of this fault would be that you would most likely hear a pipping sound in sympathy with the mimic LED on the IR reciever when sending IR.

The fact that the IR emitter is blinking all the time is what is causing all the problems with the SKY box as it cant decode genuine IR signals due to the excess noise.

A Pacelink RF2 is definately more reliable and neater than an IR emitter but whilst the fault condition exists you wont cure your problem

I have two Sky+ boxes in use via KAT5 and both use IR emitters with no problem. One of the boxes also has an RF2 link from Tivo which is IR controlled over KAT5

Hope that helps

Keith
    Hello, thanks for the detailed reply. Looks like I have a faulty unit as the problem still exists when I ruled out the house cabling by setting up the units next to each other and using a commercially manufactured cable (ruling out my dodgy crimping).

Oh well, time to apply to the "Director of Finance" for a replacement. Shouldn't be too difficult as she misses Sky upstairs :-)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaranjd View Post
    Hello, thanks for the detailed reply. Looks like I have a faulty unit as the problem still exists when I ruled out the house cabling by setting up the units next to each other and using a commercially manufactured cable (ruling out my dodgy crimping).

Oh well, time to apply to the "Director of Finance" for a replacement. Shouldn't be too difficult as she misses Sky upstairs :-)

Thanks.
    Ship the units back to me and I will try and sort out the problem. Am curious to knwo what has happened as I have had very few KAT% units returned as faulty with the exception of a few that have suffered from lightning damage.

keith at kat5 dot tv
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv