Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2004

To see which version you have:

Awooga!!!

Comment

• wywywywy
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Dec 2005

Just noticed that it hasn't been mentioned, the one that Eco Gadget Shop sells is also the new version. So no need to pay £45 on eBay

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

see there's a replacement for the Current Cost on its way :

Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• dalelane
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by toscal View Post
          Just got this reply from Current cost about their meters:
          "The units are available for sale on EBay. The company has been formed to
          design and produce units aimed at the utility companies to be given free of
          charge to their consumers and to that end we have now sold in excess of
          500,000 units. Other than EBay we do not sell direct to consumers,
          distributors or to retailers........ In order to download raw data it is necessary to purchase one of our cables, again through EBay. We do not have our own software available at present to interpret this information although if one Googles Dale Lane Current Cost this can be very useful."

Hope this helps.

Here is the Dale Lane link http://dalelane.co.uk/blog/?p=281
          I'm not sure that app (that you've linked to) is the one they probably meant.

I ditched that old code back in August (as described here), starting again on a new (and IMHO) better app that is still under development. More details about the new app can be found at http://code.google.com/p/currentcostgui/

Comment

• dalelane
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
            see there's a replacement for the Current Cost on its way :

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Current-Cos...742.m154.l1264
            I've been having a play with the new model - if you'd like to find out more about it, I've made some comments here:
            The nice people at CurrentCost were kind enough to let me have a pre-production version of their next home electricity monitor to play with: the CC128. I've been meaning to post some thoughts about it for a few weeks now, but the run up to Christmas meant it got forgotten. But I finally had

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

thanks ... looks good ...

NB: still wondering whether this (Current Cost plus xAP schema - if that's the right word to use in this context) or pulse-count meter approach (several Admite plus Idratek LTH module & user-macro), as per the Sub-Meter Electricity Monitoring thread, would be the best way to go - given we would want it as part of our Idratek set-up ! Any feel for how accurate the Current Cost is, in practice ??
              Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 5 January 2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• dalelane
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Jan 2009

Any feel for how accurate the Current Cost is, in practice ??
                no idea, sorry.

the values it produces look plausible - in that turning on a 60W light bulb causes reading to increase by roughly 60W, or turning on 900W microwave causes reading to increase by a bit more than 900W... but beyond that, I've not compared it's readings with anything in order to validate it

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

just to correct my spelling error, the Admite should have been :

Inepro ADM1TE

the following seems similar :

DRM1005

http//www.pjwmeters.co.uk/product_detail.php?id=28

maximum current seems to be 45A, 'though there's a 65A version also available (the ADM1.5TE)

also, it seems the LTH module just one of those that could be used - the following (I believe) also being possibilities :

QRI, QRH, ODI, DIO, PLH, LTS and PLT

BTW - the ADM1TE pulse output works like this (extract from the user-manual) : pulse output ... fully separated from the inside circuit ... generates pulses in proportion to the measured energy for remote reading purposes and accuracy testing ... polarity dependent, passive transistor output requiring an external voltage source for correct operation ... maximum input current (Iimax) is 27mA DC ... to connect the impulse output, connect 5-27V DC to connector 20 (anode), and the signal wire (S) to connector 21 (cathode) ... meter pulses 2000 per kWh (0.5Wh/imp) ...

hopefully that is compatible with the Idratek modules - need to check !!
                  Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 5 January 2009, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• MichaelD
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Mar 2006

The CC128 is now available, if you know where to look!

If you registered an interest in the new CC128, then you should have received an email inviting you to buy one from eBay.

It will have suggested that you look for an "Unbioctium", it costs £40, which is less than the old model.

My Unbioctium arrived this morning, and, guess what, its a CC128

Comment

• toscal
                      • Oct 2005

This maybe of interest if it can work with the Current Cost.
                      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Quinten
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post
                        If you registered an interest in the new CC128, then you should have received an email inviting you to buy one from eBay.

It will have suggested that you look for an "Unbioctium", it costs £40, which is less than the old model.

If you'd read the ukha email list, you'd have known as well

I ordered on Wednesday, and got mine delivered yesterday... Pretty pictures here: http://awooga.nl/lies-damned-lies-and-statistics
                        Awooga!!!

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Dec 2007

>maybe of interest if it can work with the Current Cost ... google.org/powermeter ...

looks a bit ambitious, to me, for the Current Cost, mainly because of the smart / clever interpretation that would be required ... but did wonder if an HA app (Homeseer, Cortex, etc) could work with it in some way ...
                          Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 14 February 2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• toscal
                            • Oct 2005

This guy uses the Google App engine to display his current cost info. So there is hope in the new google power meter app.
                            Yesterday was the end of Mashed 08 - the annual London hackday from BBC Backstage. I saw last week that there was going to be a "social responsibility" category in the hack challenge, and decided that a CurrentCost hack was in order! Together with Rich, we spent a day trying to hack together

And here is how you do it,
                            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Techtoniq_Matt
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Feb 2009

Any feel for how accurate the Current Cost is, in practice ??
                              It's not bad. The usage does seem to jump around more than I'd expected; the device spits out updates every 6 seconds and the delta can be anything from 0-40 watts when I don't (think) I have any devices in the house that would be making it behave like that.

Comment

• irri_tant
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post

Just ordered tha very same item about 1 hour back

Hasn't arrived yet but it should in a day or too

do I need their RJ-45 to USB or is there a cheaper item out there?

Comment

Working...
                                X