• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Techtoniq_Matt
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by irri_tant View Post
    do I need their RJ-45 to USB or is there a cheaper item out there?
    Not sure if there is a cheaper version out there, but if you do go hunting make sure you are comparing apples with apples. The CC cable has a USB to serial chip in it.

Comment

• MichaelD
      Automated Home Guru
      • Mar 2006

If anyone wants to update to the new head unit, they have them on a limited-time offer for £22.50 on ebay now.

It is compatible with the existing Classic system, if yours has a new style transmitter, apparently this has a C2 label, all transmitters with battery doors are compatible.

Comment

• jpdw
        Automated Home Guru
        • Oct 2007

To anyone with an old and a new unit, what are the key changes in the new unit - other than the aesthetics ?
        Jon

Comment

• irri_tant
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Feb 2009

Just ordered the very same item about 1 hour back

wow there were 10 yesterday @ 13:47 when I bought mine, now down to 3

we must like our gadgets

Comment

• Andrew Millne
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Nov 2007

Received mine today delivered within 36 hours of placing my order! Unfortunately I think I may need to tweak the clamp a little as I've just turned on a 2kw electric heater which is reading 180 watt! That seems a bit of a large margin of error for an entirely resistive load.
            Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• Andrew Millne
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Nov 2007

OK I'm getting reliable data now and have managed to connect using the PC and Tera Term. Currently I'm getting gibberish so I'm obviously missing something. I will let you know when I get some useful XML.

My current plan is to publish an xml feed that I can use to import into Cortex using xAP. I'd like to ultimately set the MFP panel LCD backlighting as an ambient indicator of household consumption. I'm also going to write a Wordpress plugin to display current and historic consumption alongside UK and Global averages and also the national grid Supply and Demand. All in near-real time.

...real soon now

Comment

• Techtoniq_Matt
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Andrew Millne View Post
                OK I'm getting reliable data now and have managed to connect using the PC and Tera Term. Currently I'm getting gibberish so I'm obviously missing something. I will let you know when I get some useful XML.

My current plan is to publish an xml feed that I can use to import into Cortex using xAP. I'd like to ultimately set the MFP panel LCD backlighting as an ambient indicator of household consumption. I'm also going to write a Wordpress plugin to display current and historic consumption alongside UK and Global averages and also the national grid Supply and Demand. All in near-real time.

...real soon now
                Plenty of examples online which document the XML from the Current Cost device; the XML schema is different between the classic and cc128/envi devices. Also note that you get different parts of the schema populated at different times, for example the cc128/envi only sends history at 1 minute past the hour, every hour. And the clock drifts quite a bit on the device! Google Dale Lane's project, lots of info there.

Regarding the gibberish - the port settings are 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit no flow control. That's for the classic, the cc128/envi might be a bit faster.

Comment

• irri_tant
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Feb 2009

Just ordered tha very same item about 1 hour back

Hasn't arrived yet but it should in a day or too

do I need their RJ-45 to USB or is there a cheaper item out there?
                  It's here , but it's costing me a fortune . We're switching things on & off to see it work

Anyone know if the history will transfer once I have the RJ-45 to USB to connect it to the pc?

Will it send data via lan cable to pc through netgear router without the need for a RJ-45 to USB?
                  Last edited by irri_tant; 20 February 2009, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• jpdw
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Oct 2007

Do we need an entire new Forum for the CurrentCost ? :-)

I've got one ("classic") already but there so many posts on here and the mailing list I'm starting to feel like I "need" to get another one (a new one).....
                    Jon

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

>separate forum ...

not sure, maybe this thread could do with a new name ...

for us, the jury's still out on the Current Cost ... it's a lot going for it, and it'll be even better when the IAMs (Individual Appliance Monitors) arrive, but it would be good to bottom the clock & the accuracy issues - how serious are they, can they be calibrated ? Clearly we don't need it to be perfect, but it would be good to get a handle on how imperfect it is ! The alternative ADM1TE approach still seems an interesting one, for me anyway ...
                      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Dec 2007

>current plan is to publish an xml feed that I can use to import into Cortex using xAP ... I'd like to ultimately set the MFP panel LCD backlighting as an ambient indicator of household consumption ... also ... display current and historic consumption alongside UK and Global averages ... national grid Supply and Demand ... near-real time ... real soon now

Good luck with that ... that would be a great fusion / collection of data, which maybe could later be adapted to other things, too ... how about something from Met.Office forecasts, as well ! ?
                        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 20 February 2009, 01:32 PM.
                        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Techtoniq_Matt
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Feb 2009

Will it send data via lan cable to pc through netgear router without the need for a RJ-45 to USB?
                          Doubt it! The output from the Current Cost is serial not IP based.

Comment

• Techtoniq_Matt
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Techtoniq_Matt View Post
                            Regarding the gibberish - the port settings are 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit no flow control. That's for the classic, the cc128/envi might be a bit faster.
                            57600 baud according to: http://www.currentcost.com/cc128/xml.htm

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Nov 2007

You may be interested in the following

Comment

• irri_tant
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Feb 2009

from CC website

My tariff alters after a number of units, what figure should I enter into the display?

The Current Cost monitor is designed to highlight wastage and is not intended to be a revenue meter. The reason a cost is on there is to offer some relevancy to the wattage used. The best currency to highlight wastage is energy (expressed as watts) although money ultimately saved is an obvious benefit.

A good solution, offered by a user is:
                                Add the two tariffs together, then add five per cent VAT, finally divide by two, and enter this value in as a single tariff.
                                I'm on first 225 units @ 26.13p per KW then 11.32p per KW after that with E.ON

so I've done what the user suggest's and it comes out @ 19.66p per KW

anyone else had to do this or should I just stick to the higher rate?

Comment

Working...
                                X