Thread: xAP, Squeezebox and Idratek

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default xAP, Squeezebox and Idratek

With the new release of Ed's plugin for xAP / Squeezebox has anyone played with interfacing this in to Cortex? I know Cortex has native support for Squeezebox but I always wanted to customise it which isn't really possible

One of the great aspects of the work Idratek have done with xAP is that they can support all xAP schema and so the SqueezeCentre plugin - which uses 3 different xAP schema can be integrated in many ways.

You can easily control transport states (play, stop, pause etc) and power on/off volume and you can send display messages to the screens of the players which is really neat. The display mechanism is actually very powerful in that it has message priorities and durations and a queue which correctly suspends and resumes messages if higher priority ones arrive.

Also if interest all the IR key button presses of the remote are reported via xAP (as well as some other standard IR formats) so you could uses this to trigger some Cortex actions. This is no where near as capable as the IDRANet IR receivers though .. and has no learn ability.

On the actual music content - all of this information is provided , and controllable via xAP but I have yet to investigate how to use/display textual data within Cortex - I think it's possible but I haven't done it.

I also have this same need with some callerID information that my xAP devices provide so I need to investigate this. I suspect CID is more involved though as the telephony aspect of Cortex is an inbuilt function so I maybe can't use it with a xAP CID device.

Of course you can use one of the touch screen front ends with Cortex via xAP - eg HouseBot , xAP Floorplan, xAP Desktop or xLobby - - and these are much better at handling things like cover art and lists of information (tracks/albums) etc

K

Thanks Kevin, for now I was thinking about using the display to send messages. For example Cortex detects the washing machine has finished (drop in current for length of time) then sends a message to the Squeezebox with an appropriate message

Yes - you can do that with the existing plugin. You would create a xAP schema for each different message - and then just trigger the message to be sent at the appropriate time, presumably derived from some Cortex connection.

Kevin

Okay I'm being lazy would this be covered with the dcumentation of the new xAP / SB plugin?

Yes ;-) - in section 4.7

The SqueezeCentre conduit is well documented at
    http://www.edjo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk...im/Manual.html
    and Cortex has good inbuilt documentation on the xAP object... but if you're stuck just ask away ..

Here is the schema that you will be constructing .. to send via xAP - note that all the lines in [] are optional - so you could just send

{
    Class=Message.Display
    Target=<address of player you want to display the message on>
    }
    Display.text
    {
    Line1=Message from Cortex
    }

Full version....

Display.Text
    {
    Line1=<message text line>
    [Line2=<message text line>]
    [Line3=<message text line>]
    [Line4=<message text line>]
    [Line5=<message text line>]
    [Line6=<message text line>]
    [Line7=<message text line>]
    [Line8=<message text line>]
    [Line9=<message text line>]
    [Duration=<seconds>]
    [TTL=<seconds>]
    [Align1=(left|centre|center)]
    [Align2=(left|centre|center)]
    [Type=(Queue|Immediate|Permanent)]
    [Tag=<messageid>]
    [Brightness=(PowerOn|PowerOff|Idle|Off|Dimmest|Dim| Bright|Brightest|0|1|2|3|4)]
    [Size=(Small|Medium|Large|s|m|l)]
    [Priority=<integer>]
    [Screen=(1|2)]
    }
    Last edited by Kevin; 18th September 2008 at 01:30 PM.