Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: xAP, Squeezebox and Idratek

Quote Originally Posted by wywywywy View Post
    Hi. What is this "xAPower"? I can't see it on the xAP website? Thanks.
    xAPPower is a half finished bit of code of mine that connects the 'Current Cost' electricity consumption monitoring devices to xAP.
    http://www.currentcost.co.uk
    http://www.ecogadgetshop.co.uk

You need the specific version (1.07) of the display device that reports the historic data out of the serial port - along with their serial cable. If you have their other version which was given away by various utility companies you can just buy one of these and a cable
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180285264923

I got diverted from the application by other things but it mostly works - and the source code is available in VB6. It needs a bit of generalisation ie configurable serial ports etc...

K

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    I don't see any information coming out of the humidity sensor. What have I done wrong / not done?

Paul
    Well it sounds like everything is set up correctly if you see all the SqueezeCentre messages on xAP. With regard to the humidity sensor all you have to do is right click on the humidty sensor and select 'Automation Networks' and tick the 'enabled' box in the xAP schemas tab . Now whenever the value of the humidty sensor changes it will send a xAP event message.

xap-header
    {
    v=13
    hop=1
    uid=FF.1007:0083
    class=xAPBSC.event
    source=Idratek.Cortex.SERVER:World.Outside.Outside Humidity
    }
    input.state
    {
    State=On
    Text=77.30
    }

You can set up a custom name should you wish but you don't really need to do that. The sensor does need to change value to originate a message.

Worth pointing out that the humidity sensor reports an 'input.state' which means that it is an input only device within Cortex. If you xAP enable something that is an output eg a dimmer or relay then it will report an 'output.state' and will be controllable from xAP - ie you can send xAPBSC.cmd messages to it and it will change state accordingly. Both input and output devices can be queried from xAP.

Cheers Kevin

It looks as though after enabling a device for HA in Cortex (after getting the license upgrade from Idratek), that the Idratek Network needs to be restarted on Cortex. After stopping and starting the IdraNET from Cortex all is good and I can see xAP entries in the real time communication Window in Cortex

I can now see messages coming out of Cortex for HA enabled devices with Ed's xFx Viewer as well

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    xAPPower is a half finished bit of code of mine
    K
    It looks like the other Kevin also has a near finished xAP connector for the Current Cost devices (just entering beta) that has nice web based graphing and RSS feeds - here's a snippet from his post to the xAP Automation list that shows the featurelist.

Because it supports BSC some integration with Cortex should be possible although probably not via the power reporting / graphing object

K

KevinT wrote...

Runs as a tray icon under windows
    Supports xAP BSC and xap-temperature
    Hourly and daily trend graphs for all 4 channels
    Collects one minute data into daily csv log files
    Utilises the xAPIntranet ocx web server
    Uses the xAPIntranet tabbed web page interface, 9 tabs/pages
    Has a summary page showing current energy used and the energy used
    and costs for the last day, week and month
    Supports xAPIntranet Groups
    Uses Google chart api for month and annual graphs
    Has 4 RSS feeds

You can see what I have so far here

http://www.netcompsys.co.uk/currentcost/index.html

Now that I have myxAP messages coming out of Cortex how can I act upon them? Do I need an additional application?

For example, if I xAP enabled the outside temperature sensor and it goes below 10 degrees how could I send an xAP message to the Squeezebox plug-in so that a message appears on my SB devices to say something "Risk of ground frost"?

Paul

Paul - sorry been on hols and missed this post. Are you sorted re this or do you still need some pointers ?

A xAP controller is needed to act upon the trigger and send a resulting message - something like the free xAP Floorplan for example. Alternatively leave the sensing of the below temp within Cortex and when it goes below value you can get Cortex to send the message directly to the SqueezeBox (Cortex can construct and send almost any xAp schema/message).

Kevin

Kevin,

I'm slowly getting the hang of xAP. You may have seen me posting in the xAP forum as well as I have been playing with Blue 0.2. It is slowly making sense and becoming more powerful.

On the server that runs Cortex I now have Blue 0.2, xFx Hub by Ed and the xfX viewer by Ed as well. With a bit of help from James I have been able to act upon my mobile phone showing up on Bluetooth and then sending a message to the Squeezebox. All simply stuff so far.

Now I am getting to grasps with the xAP schema and interface I think the next step is to turn my attention to Cortex and use it as the controller and logic provider.

BTW I sent you a message concerning your efforts with iViewer and how you were getting on?

Paul

I'm sure if you invest the time you will find xAP useful.

One of our great difficulties is conveying the concept of xAP - without burdening ourselves with the task of writing xAP applications for every purpose. xAP could be likened to IP (TCP/IP) - it makes things possible eg the internet but we can't create the mail, web and server clients. We just hope others will jump on board.

Those that 'get' it love it - but we're not doing the best of jobs at making it accessible to everyone. But we're trying ..

Kevin

For those that might want to know more....

One of the great things about xAP is that it is a distributed system - no device is tied to another and all devices can interact freely with one another over Ethernet. This means that you can implement a single controller based system - for example using Cortex as your engine or even use multiple controllers - your choice. You could even create a fancy fall over /redundant scenario. You can also set up switches for example to control lights directly or lights to listen to switches ie a controller less scenario . It is very flexible and very similar to to IDRAnet and it's Reflex features.

For those using Cortex/IDRANet as their main engine this is of passing interest - and mainly offers prospects of interaction with many more devices and applications, particularly richer data sources possibly of an internet derivation or with existing hardware. It is also for example fairly easy to write a xAP conduit allowing integration of an existing ACME alarm system into Cortex. This makes writing a custom device Cortex 'add in' possible by using xAP - and xAP is an easy protocol to understand and code.

For those with more difficult integration issues what xAP does is provide a methodology to allow you to freely design and expand your system without absolutely committing yourself to a specific vendor. For example you might chose an XYZ mp3 player and then swap to the ABC version - if they both had xAP support the change should be transparent.

xAP devices are all intrinsically network enabled and not owned by a particular application. ie independent. Additionally if you use a xAP aware software application then it's inbuilt devices (or those supported by plugins) are usually xAP exposed. This creates a rapidly expanding library of 'xAP enabled' devices that you could add to Cortex if you find an application (often free) that supports them

xAP is a protocol - we're not in the business of making hardware - or selling software (in fact we're not commercial at all) - our charter is just to make it easier to build a HA system that supports what you already own..and the future. No vendor provides a total solution, and even if they did it would likely have compromises or be not affordable.

Cortex is an unusually powerful piece of software, perhaps one of the most visionary I have come across. This coupled with a nicely affordable range of hardware provides a great platform to build a HA system. If xAP can help integrate that with your existing legacy systems or more complex sensors/devices not available within the IDRAnet offerings , or perhaps a richer internet data source .. or your home AV system for example then great.... mission accomplished :-)

K

PS Sorry if I'm a bit effervescent tonight - just returned from South Africa with some great duty free and reliving the great time I had there :-)
    Last edited by Kevin; 5th December 2008 at 02:11 AM.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

see there's a replacement for the Current Cost (mentioned by Kevin in his first post of 26 Sep'08) on its way :

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Current-Cos...742.m154.l1264
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 29th December 2008 at 11:29 PM.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

draft details here :

http://www.currentcost.com/cc128/xml.htm

seems to be faster, and able to deal with ten sensors, as well as being better-looking (maybe) ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 29th December 2008 at 11:33 PM.