Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: xAP, Squeezebox and Idratek

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    It looks like the other Kevin also has a near finished xAP connector for the Current Cost devices (just entering beta) that has nice web based graphing and RSS feeds - here's a snippet from his post to the xAP Automation list that shows the featurelist.
    Does anyone have this? Emails to Kevin are bouncing, and there is now download on his site still for xAPPower.

I have a new CurrentCost device, and his xAp connector looks perfect for integration with Cortex.

Cheers

Neil

There are two Kevins... Myself (KevinH - UKUSA/xAPAutomation) and KevinT - NetCompSys. xAPower was my CurrentCost xAP conduit but I withdrew it when KevinT announced his xAPCurrentCost

www.netcompsys.co.uk/currentcost

I will try and contact KevinT and see what the state of play is - I assume it is emails to his (Netcompsys) address that are bouncing .. and not mine ?

Cheers Kevin (H)

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I will try and contact KevinT and see what the state of play is - I assume it is emails to his (Netcompsys) address that are bouncing .. and not mine ?

Cheers Kevin (H)
    Yes, it was KevinT who I emailed and received a bounce. Would be good if you could reach him and find out where his is with his project.

Cheers

Neil

I have managed to get in touch with KevinT - he's been away for a couple of weeks. He's not aware of any email issues. Do try again too.

I have yet to get an update on his Current Cost application - although I do know that currently it doesn't support the pulse emulation that might make it more useful to Cortex. I'll post further info shortly.

K

Automated Home Sr Member

I still get bounces when trying his address:

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<kevin_curly at netcompsys.co.uk>:
    host mail.uk2.net [83.170.81.160]: 550 Unrouteable address

(above address tweaked from its native format to prevent harvesting)

Cheers

Neil

Delete the "_curly" bit ... not sure where that came from ?

K

I just noticed in this weekends update notes for Cortex that you can now accept xAP sourced trigger pulses for counters - which I'm thinking could interface to the electricity graphing :-)

I need to look a bit closer at how this is done when I get a moment but if KevinT's Current Cost xAP app were to add a pulse output then I guess the Current Costs could be sensor inputs to Cortex... or if not I could adapt my (unreleased) app or at least push out a CC to pulse output one...

K

[QUOTE=Kevin;9554]I just noticed in this weekends update notes for Cortex that you can now accept xAP sourced trigger pulses for counters - which I'm thinking could interface to the electricity graphing :-)

Not strictly true Kevin. The pulse input count on an Idratek module is from a meter that represents KWh i.e. Energy.

The "alternative reading source" is a Power input e.g. 1.2KW. Perhaps it should be described better.
    From the frequency of the updated reading we calculate the power (and the equivalent pulses). Note for very frequent updates e.g. every 5 seconds the meter should be specified as say 100000 pulses per KWh.

We could provide an alternative energy source if this is desirable.

Viv

Ive been toying with the idea of buying into the Squeeze box / Boom Box products for a while as they seem to integrate well with Cortex & XAP. As there is a special offer on can someone answer my remaining questions please?

Can the alarm function on the Boombox be integrated with Cortex i.e. only set alarm time in Cortex and let it start the boombox via macro?
    Can you display Cortex and or xAP data on the Boombox display? is this a cost option? Two options or just one!?
    How have people integrated it with Cortex or xAP?

Thanks
    JonS

Quote Originally Posted by JonS View Post
    As there is a special offer on can someone answer my remaining questions please?
    Indeed- it enticed my credit card out too :-) but I already have some SB/Duet players. I haven't used the inbuilt (option) SqueezeBox support for Cortex - so my answers are from a xAP perspective only. Hopefully IDRATEK can add the detail on their option.

SqueezeCentre has a very complete xAP plugin downloadable via SlimDevices site - or from here.
    http://www.edjo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/edward/xAP/
    Once installed, and using the latest SqueezeCentre it becomes part of the auto update mechanism. Full control and eventing is available for all music functions eg 'Now Playing' info etc plus the IR control signals. On screen message display is provided.
    Can the alarm function on the Boombox be integrated with Cortex –i.e. only set alarm time in Cortex and let it start the boombox via macro?
    You can set it playing via a xAP command so yes... You can't set the BB's internal alarm times though.
    Can you display Cortex and or xAP data on the Boombox display? – is this a cost option? Two options or just one!?
    Yes, a very thorough onscreen message display function is also provided with addressable players, timed message durations and priorities. Higher priority messages replace lower priority ones that would then become queued for later display for the remainder of their duration. This allows say weather info to be displayed that can be overwritten by alerts eg from an incoming telephone call providing name, location and number (XAP Switchboard has SC message origination inbuilt). I use xAP originated messages extensivley here ... from Cortex you have to originate appropriate xAP messages with the 'text' that you wish to display on the BB of course. BTW these display messages even show on the SB Duet wireless two way LCD colour remotes
    Implementation via xAP requires just the (one) xAP option
    How have people integrated it with Cortex or xAP?
    I haven't played extensively yet with fancy message display from Cortex onto the SqueezeBox displays... just haven't got around to it. I do have some simple predefined onscreen messages that I have sent to the SC displays from Cortex eg Alarm Set - external PIR movements etc. Also I do have the reverse - track info displayed on the LCD multifunction display - plus transport control (play|stop|pause etc). I need to investigate variable text strings in the (optional) script object in Cortex and then getting that sent as the text= parameter in the xAP message. I believe this should work - maybe Vivian can comment ?

There's a way to try it all though before you buy the BB hardware :-) You can install SqueezeCentre (free download) and use SoftSqueeze/SqueezePlayer to emulate the BoomBox (SoftSqueeze/SqueezePlay) . These are PC based applications that support both music and the message display functions so you can experiment... you would need the xAP option in Cortex though.

K
    Last edited by Kevin; 17th March 2009 at 12:36 PM.