Modules used across seperate mains supplies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Modules used across seperate mains supplies?

Are there any implications with using Idratek modules linked by the same Idranet cable across two different mains supplies? we have an upstairs and a downstairs flat that are on seperate mains supplies but want to avoid using seperate idratek installations where possible.
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

I'll leave the ultimate answer to the Idrate guys. But the two houses could be on different mains phases which I've always been taught is a bad thing as the voltage range is therefore 415volts. However, I know that Cortex can support more than one installation so although you may need a power unit to drive the two installations I would imagine you would only need one Cortex but possibly with two serial ports.

Just my random rambling rather than anything concrete

Paul

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

I'm not an electrician so what I'm saying here is best treated as theoretical:

The IDRANet cable is carrying low voltage signals which are isolated from the mains at various points eg. by relays in switching modules or by optoisolators in modules such as dimmers. The isolation levels offered by such units is well over 415V. The 12V power supply should also be isolated (you should ensure this yourself if you have decided to use your own supply).

A possible route for interaction would be if using an earthed sheath CAT5. We normally recommend earthing at one point only - typically at the 'central' supply point - lets say on mains circuit 1. A possible problem with two separate mains circuits might therefore be the sheath touching something on the second circuit and if the earths on the two circuits are separate then they possibly could exhibit a significant potential difference. This may result in a leakage detector trip or if not then maybe something worse eg. flimsy sheath conducting current between the two. Of course your earthed sheath should not be touching anything other than the central earth point on circuit 1. Your IDRANet connected PC should also be powered by circuit 1

Another point to consider if you are locating IDRANet cable in the same space as mains cable without a barrier or enforced separation (not recommended!) then you may need to ensure (or augment) the IDRANet cable insulation is rated to 415Vac (in that area) since I suppose its possible that the cable passes next to mains on 2 circuits which are supplied from 3 phase and therefore potentially 415V apart.

You should not mix supplies at any switching or dimming device eg. Neutral from one circuit and live or load from another circuit - though I can't imagine why you'd want to do this in the first place.

Comment

Working...
      X