• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roton
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2008

Curtain State

I'm on the verge of buying an IR7243 IR to X10 converter for my harmony remote but a little confused about recording the states of curtains.

I installed 2 add-a-motor drape controllers a few days ago and they are working great... but... (yes there is a but)...

They work by opening when the power is switched on and then closing when the power is switched off and on again.

In homeseer 1.7 I have set it up so that after they receive an ON (to close the curtains), an OFF signal is sent 10 secs after so that the next ON i send later will open them again.

I want my harmony to close them when I watch a dvd. After I've finished watching I want it to open them again BUT if its dark leave them closed.

Since I cannot record the state I don't know how this can be accomplished. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by roton; 23 September 2008, 11:05 PM.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Something like this might work.
    Note I haven't used any particular scripting language. More a kind of pseudo-code.
    First set up a macro in the harmony remote to transmit a DVD power on and an X10 A2 on command for the macro, and another to do the opposite. I have used A1 as the curtain module
    Then in Homeseer create a macro triggered on say A2 ON. Anything after a # is a comment.

A2 ON macro:

IF Time =< sunset Then ## If time is less than or equal to sunset
    AND curtains = open ## and curtains are open then close them
    Then A1 ON
    AND curtains = closed
    End IF

A2 Off Macro
    IF Time < sunset Then ## If time is less than sunset
    AND curtains = closed ## and curtains are closed then open them
    Then A1 ON
    AND curtains = open
    End IF

You will also need to set up a curtain tracking script or macro
    IF A1 ON THEN curtain=1 + curtain ## equals a closed curtain if curtain =1
    ELSE IF curtain = 2 THEN
    curtain = 0 ## Denotes an open curtain
    END IF
    END IF

Hope this helps
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• roton
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2008

Thanks toscal. That would work and, as always, you provide an excellent solution quickly.
      I will give that a go (I've never written a macro in HS before...but hey its a good time to learn!), but another idea (yeah I was up until late last night, HA really eats away at your sleep lol) would be to have a light address where there is no light and just do a simple condition based on sunset. For example I have nothing on A16.

So when dvd player is on etc. also send an ON to A16 and an OFF to it 10 seconds later.

Then in homeseer just do if A16 is ON AND before SUNSET then send ON to curtains.

Thats about it. That way at night the curtains won't get any command when you're trying to watch a film and after the film they won't open if its dark.
      Also no need to track states.

edit: ok your way's better because if someone closes a curtain during the day if its too sunny (so 3 days in the year over here ) then it will take account for it.
      Last edited by roton; 24 September 2008, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X