Thread: Long Range Wireless

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Long Range Wireless

Hi All - and apologies if this is a little off-topic, but I couldn't think where else to ask!

Does anyone know of a decent WAP that will allow us to connect an existing stie, with one about 200metres away. Both buildings are brick, and therefore the current Drayteks I have do not quite reach each other.

I've read that something like a D-Link DWL-900+ might do the trick, but there aren't many reviews regarding it's long range efforts!

Does anyone have any suggestions - that are preferably affordable and not a Wireless Hotspot!

Thanks
    Nunners

There's a few options that spring to mind, this site is pretty good, and only requires a little bit of time (not money )
    http://www.freeantennas.com/projects...te2/index.html

There;s another great site that uses chinese cooking tools to boost wireless signals coupled with a USB wifi dongle. The site appears down at the moment, but here it is for reference:
    http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
    EDIT: site seems to be available again...

Googling for "wok usb wifi" will throw up plenty of similar links

I've also seen pages discussing putting a USB wifi dongle in place of the LNB on a sky minidish, plus one at the other end, and you should get some pretty impressive gain figures.

There are commercial solutions of course, they're not *that* expensive but may still be more than you want to pay.

One final option - some of the long distance video sender kits include external/upgraded aerials. Since they also work on the same 2.4Ghz frequency as b/g wifi, they may also be an option, e.g. p/n A72CY from www.maplin.co.uk

HTH,

Tim.
    Last edited by TimH; 3rd October 2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: 2nd url now working :)

Also google for the "pringles antenna". Or look here http://binarywolf.com/249/pringles_cantenna.htm
    Fitting a decent hi gain antenna to a Wifi router helps, in some cases this can double the range.
    Another option is to use a system like the WICA series by Aphelion. http://www.aphelions.com/Aphelion_WICA.htm
    Last edited by toscal; 3rd October 2008 at 08:03 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Dispense with the domestic "wireless/dsl routers" and look for proper 802.11b/g/n access points. Though the draytek stuff is good, it's probably suffering from being a many-in-1 box (dsl, fw, 802.11b/g etc).

With a real AP, you should be able to choose from a range of antennas to suit your needs. Something tightly directional like a yagi will probably get your the best range -- though the tight directional means you need to take care aligning them when you install.

You mention the buildings. Presumably this is a permanent link, so take the time/effort to mount the antennas on the exterior face of the building and at a good enough height to avoid line-of-sight by cars/lorries that may pass between the two buildings.

A quick google suggests, for instance, that D-link do a range of antennas for their APs (so do parent Cisco, but that would be more ). Probably the same for other vendors. I've not used these vendors myself as my experience was all using a high end enterprise vendor, but the theory should be the same especially as the technology keeps improving.

HTH