• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Winter
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2007

Audio Problem

Guys

I'm having an issue with the audio functionality of idranet at the moment and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions (before I ask Karam direct!)..

I'm looking to tap into AL and AH on the network with a small audio amp to allow for a simple doorbell function at any node on the network. This should work, but I haven't even got that far yet. Here's why..

When entering the sound behaiviour menu and right clicking 'go' on any wave in the list, I get an NRLProcess Sound Exception in the log. If I manually program speech, and then right click 'go', this works OK, sound comes from the side speakers on the 5.1 outputs. (nvidia mobo, onboard realtek audio)

So, this leads to a few questions -

Is there a software config/driver issue that someone else may have already seen (my next step would be to re-install audio drivers)

Can Idranet's PCA switch correctly to audio when there's no MFP's on the system

Why does speech work and not waves

Has anyone had success with using onboard Realtek chipsets and different outputs

Lastly, I have misplaced the stuffer that came with the PCA's audio lead and now I'm just left with a red and a black 3.5mm jack - which one is which.....?

Any ideas anyone?

John
    --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

no answer, but just a thought ... does (through MFPs) / would (with bridging amp's) Idratek give soft switching on audio - ie: no clicks & bangs ?
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

Regarding the NRLProcess exception I think this must be driver related or some issue in the setup of the audio path via the Windows sub systems. Check to see that the relevant .wav files are in the correct location as described by the path in Cortex sounds menu. Then double click the .wav file outside of Cortex. Does it play normally? Check the Windows Control Panel Sounds and Audio devices and the default playback devices for Audio items. Do these seem correct? Speech engine output handling is I believe seperate from .wav file handling so can explain why one works whilst the other doesn't.

Regarding PCA connecting PC audio to audio bus, I think this may not happen in Cortex V23 if there is no MFP or DFP in the database. You can force it via a macro or such, but probably the easiest thing to do is just add a dummy MFP object to the database and ensure it is not network enabled. You should then use broadcast option for any audio outputs and obviously make sure that in Cortex Audio options that all items are checked as if you do have a fully functional audio network.

Cable: If you just have red and black plugs then Red goes to PC MIC and Black goes to PC SPKR. If you have older style cable with yellow/blue bands at jacks then ignore jack colour and instead Blue goes to MIC and Yellow goes to SPKR.

As for Chris' question - not sure I understood it entirely but no there are no bangs preceding MFP audio outputs. Could be a soft click depending on conditions but I don't think discernible.
      Last edited by Karam; 14 October 2008, 12:29 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

• John Winter
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Dec 2007

Hi Karam,

Thanks for your input on this one - I'll have a 'fiddle' tonight and report my results...

Cheers

John

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

>Chris' question ...

'twas only that I wondered if the MFP included some sort of initial muting on audio, to avoid clicks & bangs caused by switching ... at least some (maybe all) of our hi-fi has this, for example ... if so, then the bridging amp's might need similar arrangements !
          Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
            Automated Home Legend
            • Mar 2005

Actually this brings up another point - an audio amp attached to the bus should really be switchable otherwise you'll likely pick up undesireable noise when the audio bus is 'inactive'. To improve signal to noise you will need to minimise audio amp gain and maximise signal output from PCA until just about clipping.

Comment

• John Winter
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Dec 2007

Hi Karam

OK- I have had a play tonight and have met with some success.

Firstly, creating a dummy MFP allows Cortex to switch the PCA correctly - meaning that the audio bus switches on correctly. This means I've been able to further test the audio functionality (using the black 3.5mm jack!)

I'm still able to make the speech work correctly, and I've also discovered MP3's play correctly without an issue too - but even after reloading drivers and checking *every* setting in control panel, *.wav files generate an NRLProcess exception. Wave files play in WMP without a problem so I think I need another pointer here. What exactly is an NRL Process Exception?

The small audio amp I'm using works well, with tolerable levels of background 'chirps'. As you mentioned, as long as the SN ratio is optimised by whacking up the soundcard's output and tweaking down the pot on the amp, it's not too bad.

So, not completely there yet, but making progress. Have you any further suggestions?

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
              X