Thread: Home Phone System

Automated Home Lurker

Default Home Phone System

hi - we just moved into an old house, which has a crazy, ancient and extensive phone system. Ultimately, we'd just like to have one active phone point in the hallway, and run a number of handsets from it. Is that possible? I guess what i'm looking for is a system where one 'master' phone is attached to the phone point in the hallway, and then a bunch of 'other' handsets around the house, which are connected to a power supply, but not the phone system, and operate wirelessly. Also, we use a BT Total Broadband wireless router, so whatever phone system we use should not interfere with that. Is there such a thing?? Any recommendations gratefully received. Thanks.

A standard wireless DECT phone system would work Siemens do one that comes with about 3 wireless handsets model Gigaset S670 Trio or C470 Trio.
    Another option which I provide here in Spain is a small set of wireless adapters that plug into the mains socket and a normal phone plugs into the socket on the adapter and the other adapter gets connected to the master socket. There is also a DECT version but this is very expensive.
    If you need more than say 4 phones you might want to look at the Gigaset C470 IP. This can have 3 lines (1 normal phone line and 2 IP/voip lines)
    Infact Siemens seems to do many variations on this theme. So it might be worth looking on their product website.
    Another option is to use what I have in my house this is a TCOM Sinus 300 wifi phone and base station. The base station has a phone connection and connects to the TCOM handset via wifi. with the right firmware I can also use the phone with Skype or voipbuster as well. The handset can also be used as a normal mobile phone ( when a sim card is inserted) when out of range of the base station. The hand set is also sold as a Pirelli DP-L10. So in theory you could add more phones to the base station.
    Unfortunately all the info I have is in Spanish.
    Except for this http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=2183
    Last edited by toscal; 23rd October 2008 at 05:38 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu

Automated Home Lurker

ok cool - thanks for taking the time to reply.

Some good suggestions from toscal, and DECT would be the simple, "obvious" answer. There's also a wide range of handsets with the option of both Skype and "proper" VoIP integration.

If you're feeling adventurous, have a look at Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org/) - it's a PBX with hige potential for extra features and supports both "normal" telephones and VoIP

More on its featrues here:
    http://www.asterisk.org/support/about

HTH,

Tim.