• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Cat-5e

Unless I'm missing something, always a possibility of course, buying pre-terminated Cat-5e might be more economical - eg:

TransparentCommunications.com is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

as compared with buying 305m boxes,RJ45 plugs, tools to fit them, learning-curve costs, etc ...

but cable-lengths would not be bespoke ... meaning excess length would often have to be lost, somehow ... but how - loop/ loops, loose or tight, zig-zag/ zig-zags, or what ... tight loops might be neatest, but would transfer rates be upset by the inductance ... ???
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Are you talking about patch cables. If its patch cables We tend to buy them ready made, much easier quicker to use. I think for every 40 or so we buy ready made we may make one bespoke cable. Hope this helps
    Last edited by toscal; 26 October 2008, 09:52 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

I was ... my surprise was that they were to be had at competitive prices in 15m & 30m lengths & with non-snag connectors, as well as the usual much shorter lengths (0.5m, 1m, and 5m) we'd bought previously ... 15m & 30m lengths would probably be sufficient to enable us to interconnect patch-panels in key parts of the house ... but would meant coiling-up a metre or two sometimes - if coiling-up was OK !
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Gumby
        • May 2004

Quite tricky to run pre-terminated cables through conduit though

So you'll need both. Most 305m rolls of Cat5e are for solid core cable. This is not suitable for patch cable usage, since they will break under repeated flexing. Patch cables use a multi-strand cable. And the terminal crimps are also of a different design for stranded vs solid core.
        ----------------------
        www.gumbrell.com

Comment

Working...
        X