Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which External IP Camera?

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm moving into my new house next week and am going to have to retrofit everything, so I think I will try out the Y-cam Black with outdoor enclousre as well as the D-link PoE adatper http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=332 that Andrew mentioned.

I don't really mind the daylight colour distortion, as long as the night vision works adequately.

From the review i've read, you're right, the LED's do glow in the dark. I don't know how noticible they will be when mounted under the gable of the roof.

It won't be for a few weeks yet, but I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxuk View Post
    I'm moving into my new house next week and am going to have to retrofit everything, so I think I will try out the Y-cam Black with outdoor enclousre as well as the D-link PoE adatper http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=332 that Andrew mentioned.

I don't really mind the daylight colour distortion, as long as the night vision works adequately.

From the review i've read, you're right, the LED's do glow in the dark. I don't know how noticible they will be when mounted under the gable of the roof.

It won't be for a few weeks yet, but I'll let you know how I get on with it.
    Hi ajaxuk,

Sorry old thread, but I was wondering how you got on with it (now that I'm looking into the same, and have the same criteria as yourself)?

Came across this a few days ago it looks quite good if the specs are to be believed IP camera
    Price is reasonable too.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Quote Originally Posted by toscal View Post
    Came across this a few days ago it looks quite good if the specs are to be believed IP camera
    Price is reasonable too.
    Hmm interesting, though as a friend pointed out, amongst other things, doesn't list any streaming protocols?

And I assume to put Cortex (or for example say iCatcher) in the picture (terrible pun), that's what's needed?

Automated Home Sr Member ludditeal's Avatar

I have bought one of these and installed it in an external enclosure.
    In General it has been fine. I bought the model with a buit-in SD card so that in the event there is a network failure then there is a local copy as well assuming the camera isn't nicked at the same time.

They do have a slight red glow at night. In daylight green comes out as a nice purple colour but people are quite recognisable.

I have used the built-in motion detection but it seems a bit over-sensitive at night time with moths triggering it a lot. I have started to play around with using it in Cortex as a camera as it supports an MJPEG stream. It is working but I am struggling with the motion detection settings. In my sensitivy grid I have set up the areas I want to monitor for movement which is a concrete path so there are no major changes in the monitored area however the detection screen always shows values ranging 1-4 and then every now and then shoot up to 9 which triggers a recording/snapshot. The motion bar is always hovering round the 40-50% with the afore mentioned shoot up to 100%

I have tried tweaking frame rates and MJPEG quality rates. If I open the stream in a firefox window the picture has no major changes taking place that I can see. I tried increasing the grid size to 10x10 and reducing it to 3x3. But no luck. Suggestions?

Cheers
    Allan

Try in IE. If you don't have IE or prefer to use Firefox there is an IE plugin for Firefox, which I use. Its called IE Tab Plus. Very easy to use.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Sr Member ludditeal's Avatar

Hi Toscal,

I am talking about using the Cortex camera/movement detection processing rather than the built-in function on the Y-Cam.

I can set-up the movement processing on the camera using IE but I can't seem to find a sensible balance between the window for motion detection, the sensitivity and the threshold.

Cheers
    Allan

Suggest you experiment with the settings using the stream from the example IP camera link provided in Cortex. This will help provide a feel of what to expect from a source that is 'known good'.

From personal experience I find the sensitivity grid settings have a somewhat non-linear characteristic where a weighting of 8 in areas of interest is not unusual whereas a value of 9 gives much more sensitivity than expected by a 1 point increase. I tend to put 8s in areas of interest and pretty much 0 in all other areas - but it does depend on the camera and what you are looking at. Night time images are known to be more noisy because the camera is in effect ramping up its gain and you therefore also get higher level of noise (moving speckles). You could try playing with some other parameters such as enabling the noise reduction option and changing the detection frame rate or limiting the detection colour. There may also be parameters on the camera itself which may help improve the signal to noise ratio

But ultimately IMHO unless you are doing something much more sophisticated like analysing for specific shapes or other such markers in the images, standard camera motion detection is more than liable to give false positives and you have to compromise on the amount of captured data vs. missing something. PIRs can be used either to augment or to exclusively trigger capture, though again external ones are not exactly foolproof...

Automated Home Lurker

I'm looking for external cameras for my setup also. Much the same criteria as the first poster. I already own a Vivotek indoor IP camera which is reasonably good and seems to work fine. I have this connected up to a Synology NAS which can record the stream.

Vivotek do quite a few network cameras and have several outdoor versions. Anyone any experience of the outdoor ones or on the Vivotek cameras in general - I've not used any other make.

Automated Home Lurker

Just to throw into the mix VideoIQ ip cameras, we have recently stated to stock these in the UK, they have been a massive hit in the US

http://www.videoiq.com/

They are probably a bit OTT for home use, but I think this could be the future, on board storage, we are already seeing more and more IP cameras with onboard storage, in the way of a SD cards, but these bad boys can store 1TB of video.

http://networkvideosystems.co.uk