• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pgiblin
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2007

Sensors and turn off lights only

Is there any way to set the sensor NOT to send an ON signal when it detects motion, only turn off when it doesn't detect movement?
    I'm trying to cut down on electricity use here (more a tightwad issue than trying to save the planet).
    The SO insists on leaving the bedroom lights on when they're not needed so it would be nice to turn them off if there's no movement and I don't want the lights to turn on when I get up to go to the WC in the middle of the night.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

What is your X10 setup. Do you have a computer interface, and what software are you running. And are you using an MS13 as the motion detector.

Just had a thought if the light is on then sending another on signal won't make any difference as the light is already on. Set the time delay on the sensor to switch off to a value you think is appropriate. And the lights will turn off after this delay. Can't remeber if the time delay works on first trigger of sensor or last trigger of the sensor.
    Last edited by toscal; 1 November 2008, 05:33 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• pgiblin
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2007

I had it running using Homeseer to control things but I'm now trying to cut down on power usage by cutting down on the number of running appliances. I've got a CM11 interface, BTW.

What I want to do is:
      Turn on the bedroom lights with a switch only (not via the motion sensor).
      If no motion detected, turn off after 8 minutes.

I've got other lights that turn on when the sensors detect movement and if the room is dark. Its just the bedroom that I want to work this way. A bit of a noodle scratcher.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by pgiblin View Post
        What I want to do is:
        Turn on the bedroom lights with a switch only (not via the motion sensor).
        If no motion detected, turn off after 8 minutes.
        What sensor do you have. If its an MS13, set it to work for day use, then set the off delay for 8 minutes. It will send an on command when it is triggered,( this won't matter as the light is on anyway) then send an off command 8 minutes after the last trigger (i.e. when you have left the room). Just make sure the house code on the MS13 matches the light.
        Let me know if this works.

Have you thought about getting a Homevision unit. This can do similar things to Homeseer, but uses much less power. www.csi3.com
        Last edited by toscal; 1 November 2008, 10:44 PM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Just had another idea.
          For example your light is on say A1 and the sensor is set to B1 and daylight mode and delay of 8 minutes.
          Now set up a macro and store it in your CM11.
          Macro will be for B1 OFF and this will send an A1 OFF command.
          This has the advantage of no A1 ON being sent.
          So you can switch on the light and when you leave the room about 8 minutes later the B1 OFF command is sent and the CM11 sends out an A1 OFF.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• pgiblin
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2007

Thanks for your help, BTW.
            How do I set the M13 for day use only?
            Probably having a senior moment, couldn't see anything in the instructions for day only mode. I've tried pressing the House/On button 3 and 4 times but doesn't seem to work.

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

Here you go, you need to set it to 1.
              SETTING THE SENSOR FOR DAY/NIGHT USE
              • Press the <unit/off> button once.
              • The LED will flash briefly.
              • Press the <house/on> button and hold it down.
              • The green LED behind the PIR lens will light up.
              • 3 seconds later the LED will display the current mode (the factory setting is 1).
              • 1 flash when the motion detector is on during the day, light/dark sensor off.
              • 2 flashes when the motion detector is off during the day, light/dark sensor off.
              • 3 flashes when the motion detector is on during the day, light/dark sensor on.
              • 4 flashes when the motion detector is off during the day, light/dark sensor on.
              • Release the <house/on> button.
              • Now press the <house/on> button the number of times that corresponds to the mode that you want
              to set. On the last press hold down the button (e.g. for mode 3 press the <house/on> button 3 times
              and hold the button down on the third press).
              • After 3 seconds the LED will display the new setting and the LED will switch off.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• pgiblin
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jan 2007

Thanks Toscal,
                I'll try that tonight.

Comment

• pgiblin
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jan 2007

No joy unfortunately.
                  From http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/4087updated.pdf
                  Blinks Dawn/Dusk Motion Detection
                  1 Disabled Day & Night
                  2 Disabled Night Only
                  3 Enabled Day & Night
                  4 Enabled Night Only

may have to get the soldering iron out. I'll report back if I get a solution. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

Interesting as the bit I posted was just cut and pasted from the European version of the manual.
                    Have you tried using the on off buttons on the sensor to actually see if it will switch the light off,
                    after 8 minutes.
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• pgiblin
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jan 2007

I'll try that.
                      Currently investigating joining up the two leads to the CDS resistor, to simulate a permanently ON status and setting the dusk/dawn setting to detect darkness. I've got a MS13E that I hacked with a reed switch (http://www.laureanno.com/x10-mod1.html) a few years ago that I can mess around with.
                      I reckon if I stick a resistor in there, it should work. A job for tomorrow though. A few pints of Everard's Old Original at the Black Lion this evening and all I'm now fit for is watching a DVD.

Comment

• pgiblin
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Jan 2007

I replaced the light sensor with a 10k resistor.
                        Works as normal in day/night mode.
                        Doesn't work in night only mode.
                        Ho hum. Time to find another project, I reckon.

Comment

• pgiblin
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jan 2007

Just an update.
                          I moved Homeseer to an old Mini-ITX computer that I set up as a PVR (with GBPVR). So its now working as I wanted (sensor turns bedroom light off, not on). The ITX is also connected to a Currentcost meter to record my electrical demand.

The readout from this gadget prompted the purchase of a pack of three Home-Easy plugs and a wireless switch (all in cost = £34) to turn off groups of standby equipment (TV, DVD, STB etc). I reckon that a penny saved is a penny to squander, which in turn, has me thinking about getting a RFXcom unit next year.

HA never ends.

Comment

Working...
                          X