• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phooto
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2008

EnOcean

Has anyone here looked at using EnOcean? - a bit like ZigBee, just you don't need batteries in the transmitters.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Are you anything to do with the UK distributor for EnOcean TDC by any chance. Its just that your user name phooto is similar to one used to answer a thread on the Homevision forum about EnOcean http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homevi.../message/10516.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Phooto
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2008

Yes. Just I can't understand why this technology has been passed by by so many of these forums. It's a lot more accessible and widespread than ZigBee as well as being fully interoperable.

I obviously use a lot of it at my home, with a remote in the car to operate lights when I come home, and avoiding extra wiring for switched circuits and control.

I've got a USB interface working and had started on some code, but I quite like the idea of adding it into something like MisterHouse to give it a web interface, or maybe use a web server on a WiFi module, and avoid running a PC altogether.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

>fully interoperable ...

must say the system looked good when I saw it at one of the exhibitions, and when I then read-up on it ... but it struck me as rather like EIB/ Knx, and that made me think it wouldn't be unaffortdable & accessible to enthusiasts, as on this forum ! But, if that's not the case, and it could work with Idratek, then do please say !! THere could be many situations where adding EnOcean modules to an Idratek set-up would be very useful ...

I'm quite tempted by Alertme, for security, even better if it could be linked to Idratek - but all those batteries !!!
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 8 November 2008, 07:11 PM.
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

I think what has put a lot of people off, is there seems to be no proper PC interface and controlling software. It all seems to be very homebrew to get it to work with a PC. If there was a decent software program or a plugin for say Homeseer. And a decent software development kit for the die hard homebrew enthusiasts. I think this would help in getting more people interested.
          Also the cost factor is another, I've seen the price for a switch and a module range from about 75 to over 100 pounds. Then if you need to switch the same module from another location then a switch on its own is about 65 pounds. Admittedly you don't need to wire in the switches, and there are no battery costs.
          To get more people interested I think you need to put together a decent starter kit of say a PC interface, control software, 1 mains module, a switch and possibly a sensor of some sort. Sell this for about 150 to 200 pounds then you may get more people interested.
          Maybe do an article for Automated Home on living with EnOcean.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Phooto
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Nov 2008

It's nothing like EIB/KNX, but there are interfaces to it available.

As for PC interfaces, I have published a way of connecting one of the modules to a USB port, and some software to read and write data to the port. See http://www.tdc.co.uk/index.php?key=tt_enocean for examples. As for HomeSeer, I prefer platform independent solutions such as MisterHouse (although I have not tried either of them yet), as personally I don't have a PC, and forcing choice to one platform is a bit limiting.

I'm just working on a webshop, and certainly a kit as you mention can be put together, as can some lower cost switch / receiver combinations. I should get those done this week.
            Last edited by Phooto; 9 November 2008, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

>nothing like EIB/KNX ...

I meant in their approach to Customers ... rather than technically ...

>PC interfaces ...

PC including Mac ! ... but, how about iPhone / iPod Touch, too, the SDK for which should make them quite accessible ... ?
              Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 9 November 2008, 10:57 AM.
              Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

Also most Home automation companies or websites selling it, give quite in depth descriptions on how their products work and what can be done with it. And some even quote real world examples etc. If the don't they usually point you in the right direction. This appears to be missing on either your site and the EnOcean shop site.
                Have a look at the competition. See how they display their information and see how you can do similar and improve on it.
                IF you prefer platform independent solutions then have a look at Homevision and the HVxl program. This can run on Linux and PC and I guess any machine that will run TCL.
                Homevison www.csi3.com
                HVXL http://hv.tclcode.com/
                Last edited by toscal; 9 November 2008, 08:40 PM.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Phooto
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Nov 2008

All the information is there, all the packet information is released. Look especially at the user manual for the TCM 120 - the transceiver - it's all in there. That's the device I used to make the USB interface, which can receive data from sensors, and control other devices such as mains receivers controlling appliances and lights.

If anyone's going to Electronica this week, EnOcean have a booth there, launching some new products - even lower power, embedded processing and so on.

Comment

• Phooto
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Nov 2008

As for HomeVision - just took a look at it, and it's not exactly wireless! One of the main features of EnOcean is that control wiring is not needed at all - and the sensors and switches are wireless and don't need a battery or power supply.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Nov 2007

I like the idea of these sensors a lot. I'm particularly interested in the window reed sensors as with double hung sash windows throughout the house wiring conventional surface reed switches is a pain. Reading up more on these as we speak so thanks for pointing out the technology.

For some reason my first glance at the site didn't really leave me convinced. Now, after I eventually stumbled on the "solutions" section I'm keen to learn more.

In my opinion if you are affiliated with this company you should be getting people to this page more quickly...

Any way, web usability critique over back for more of a read
                      Last edited by Andrew Millne; 10 November 2008, 12:27 AM.
                      Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Nov 2007

At £70 per replacement though I think i'll pass and put up with a bit of fiddly wiring
                        Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• jpdw
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Oct 2007

I stumbled across the enocean website some months ago and really liked the look of it -- home automation without doubling the electricity draw.

But like others mentioned, the price put me off.
                          Maybe the energy harvesting gizmos inside are really expensive. If not, and it's just being sold as a premium product with a luxury markup, then I think that's a real shame -- as if B&Q can interest "normal people" in stuff like home easy that requires power at a time of ludicriously high energy prices then there must be a good mass market demand for something similar that can also attract the "green" tag... [of course, the price of oil falling, I'm sure the cost of gas & elec will fall soon as kill that arguement )

Another point, many of the parts looked like open pcb parts. As a techy that's great fun to play with on a desk, but I dont want to spend all day making enclosures. Maybe it's all aimed at professional integrators, but they that'll explain why it isn't much discussed here.

Of course, another good way to improve volumes would be to offer all registered users of Automated Home a 50% discount....
                          Jon

Comment

• Phooto
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Nov 2008

I'll be adding these to the webshop this week, at prices substantially less than £70

Even MK have a range with these in, so if you have access to MK's products, look at their 'Echo' range.

And if you needed any more convincing, they've just won the electronic industry's "Oscars" - http://www.elektraawards.co.uk/p/1892

Comment

Working...
                            X