• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajaxuk
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2008

25mm pattress box

I've just measured the depth of the pattress's in my new house and they all appear to be 25mm deep and they sit flush against the concreted wall blocks.

Considering the idratek datasheets specify 35mm boxes is my only option going to be to chip away at the concrete blocks?

If this is my only option has anyone else done it and was it hard work? I can imagine brick being more difficult.

Mark.
  • Gumby
    • May 2004

Depending on the number of circuits you may just be able to squeeze a module in, but it's a pain and not to be recommended. If you have very busy boxes you may want to consider the odd 47mm, eg where there are junctions for three-way circuits etc.

I had to chip out solid stone to get more depth. With brick you may be able to drill round the periphery and then chip out the core, which would be easier. A power chisel (SDS drill) is easier but is likely to cause collateral damage. In tricky places I used stone carving chisels.

Bear in mind that there are building regs limits on the depth of cuts into walls.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• ajaxuk
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2008

Thanks for your reply Gumby.

I am looking to install the new display panels

and possibly a few single dimmer switches SLD002. Additonal sensors if needed will probably go in the ceiling voids for simplicity.

I am strugling at the moment to find a route from downstairs to upstairs. The ground and 1st floors are made from concrete.

When the house was built TV co-ax was conveniently routed to every room in the house excluding bathrooms, so I may be able to use that routing once I find it. I haven't had the chance to have good look yet.

Mark

Comment

• n07tv
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • May 2004

I had the same in a 1910 building. Most of mine were brick with 20mm which I had to chip out ... not too bad by chain drilling a series of holes and then chiselling it out.

The 35mm is for a reason, the mains units need this clearance and come supplied with an insulator to keep the wiring separate.

Luckily I had a few partition walls so not all brick, ut these were crap slat and horsehair filled plaster which just crumbled away when I looked at it. Plenty of polyfilla, but then we were doing a total decorate.

Neil.

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Don't know if this will work to increase the depth.
          You could try and electrical box sinker, these are square chisel type things the size of either a single or double box. there is a video on the bottom of this page that shows you how it works. http://www.armeg.co.uk/electrical-box-sinker-tools.asp I think screw fix sells them. I wish they did them for european sizes
          I've used a tungsten carbide circular hole cutter with a diameter the same as the size of the square hole. First I drilled quite a few holes with a masonry drill then used the hole cutter. Doesn't take long with a decent pneumatic drill. But a hammer drill will probably work as well, and maybe more desirable if you require a more softer approach. Then once I finished a normal masonry chisel and hammer and a couple hits or so and its done. may take a bit longer then using the EBS thingy from Armeg, but probably cheaper.
          Last edited by toscal; 10 November 2008, 10:06 PM.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Karam
            Automated Home Legend
            • Mar 2005

Sensory only modules will probably be ok with 25mm but ones which connect to mains or have relays will not. The DFP-H02 (new display panel) will fit on a 25mm box if you do not want to use the XRM-001 relays module plugin (ie. don't want to do any local switching), but note that it is designed to fit over a dual gang rather than double gang box. You can however get it to fit over a double gang with a bit of DIY as long as you don't want to switch mains.

Comment

• ajaxuk
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Oct 2008

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like i'm going to have to go the pre-drill and then hammer and chisel route.

Mark

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Nov 2007

You may also find these of use, may save you a bit of work.

Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• ajaxuk
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Oct 2008

Thanks Andrew, I think they would serve well for the standard modules.

Yesterday I started the drilling / chiselling process ready for my first DFP when it arrives. I would say that it is a lot easier and quicker than I anticipated. Will hopefully post a pic of my first hole when I get time to finish it today

Mark

Comment

• ajaxuk
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Oct 2008

Job done!... well 1st of many

I managed to break the plasterboard, which you can see in the top right of the second photo. Luckily SWMBO hasn't noticed yet, so will postpone fixing 'til she does.

Had some fun in the loft routing cables and also noticed we have a leak, I think it's the flashing around the chimney.

Mark
                    Last edited by ajaxuk; 23 November 2008, 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• John Winter
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Millne View Post
                      You may also find these of use, may save you a bit of work.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28261/...Spacer%20White
                      I agree. I had this issue in my house and I decided for the really shallow backboxes just to use the spacers - they have to be cut with a jigsaw to fit properly though.

If you've got 16mm backboxes and are retrofitting Idratek modules then you'll soon notice that they won't fit. 25mm is the bare minimum requ...
                      --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                      X