• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon George
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2008

Door bell/intercom

Hi,

I would like to install a door bell/intercom that will interface to the new DFP-H02 panel (or indeed the existing MFP panels) but without installing an external panel by the outside door. I think an external DFP/MFP would be overkill and also confuse callers with multiple buttons (which one to press to ring the door bell ?!) I'm really just looking for a device with a push button and microphone/speaker that I can interface to Idranet and thereby talk to people at the door.

Has anyone done this sort of thing or can suggest a solution (preferably without bodging an MFP to do the job) ? There are plenty of bell/intercom devices available, just not sure how they can be integrated with Idratek.

Thanks in advance,

Simon
  • Simon George
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2008

Just to clarify the above - it's easy to integrate the bell into Idratek (via a digital input and Cortex connections), it's interfacing the intercom to the Idranet audio bus I'm unsure of...

Comment

• Andrew Millne
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Nov 2007

This feature has been requested before and I think a number of people are looking for a solution to this (including myself).

The previous thread is located here to get you up to speed.

Unfortunately, Gumby's suggestion in post #6 is probably the closest anybody has come.

Just out of interest how many Idratek users would use an external module specifically with say 1-4 buttons, a microphone and speakers?
      Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• Simon George
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2008

Thanks for the reply Andrew and for pointing out that thread.

I think something as simple as a small module (or even PCB/whatever) that does Idranet audio bus -> microphone input/speaker output (whether jacks or PCB contacts) would do just fine. This could then integrate with whatever 3rd party intercom you chose. It may also have uses outside my door scenario.

A question for Karam/Viv is then how easy it would be to bridge the Idranet audio bus to external microphone/speakers - I assume it's not as simple as just connecting the wires together but that some logic/protocol is involved ?

Thanks again

Comment

• KirasHome
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Andrew Millne View Post
          Just out of interest how many Idratek users would use an external module specifically with say 1-4 buttons, a microphone and speakers?
          Yep - I'd be interested. Jamie

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

me, too ... 'though I'd really like it to have a camera, as well ... snap-shot capability rather than video would be fine, with the picture being taken when visitor presses the button for attention (something like Apple's Photo Booth might offer a good approach) ...

NB: if Idratek could be integrated with multiple iPhone & iPod Touch devices, via Wi-Fi,, the door-bell function might be even better - wherever you were, within & around the house, you could deal with it !
            Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 11 November 2008, 07:39 PM.
            Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Simon George
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Apr 2008

I too would like a standalone external solution, but with the (hopefully !) imminent DFP launch, I'm looking for a quick-and-dirty solution to get some sort of door intercom working. I'd rather not wait 6+ months for a fully working module to be developed/tested and released

Comment

• Gumby
                • May 2004

6 months ...
                ----------------------
                www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• John Winter
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Dec 2007

I have already done this - sort of...

I have fabricated a doorbell/microphone/camera for my front door (looks quite nice if I say so myself), and have also succesfully hung a small audio amp off of the 12v and audio lines of the idratek network, to provide an audio output inside the house for the aforementioned doorbell. I have no MFP's that would normally provide this audio output.
                  The amp and speaker I have chosen would theoretically be small enough to fit into the remaining space in a 35mm cavity pattress populated with a PLH or similar.

Only downside is the slight interference in the form of high pitched beeps and squeaks from the bus itself, I imagine usually suppressed by internal switching in an MFP.

As a side note, I think if all you need is global annunciation, then multiple small amps and speakers mounted behind existing PLH's set at a low enough volume to minimise the interference would be sufficient.

I really should update my blog with all this.... Maybe over xmas when I have time..

John
                  --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Dec 2007

>update my blog ...

yes please ... look forward to that !

BTW, 'thought Bticino have something good on door-'phones :

probably expensive, though ...

wish Idratek would do something to help this - ie: a screen module (still images would be fine, doesn't have to be video) or a link to photo-screens, & a camera interface ... even better if linked into iPhone or iPod Touch ... which, in any case, I hope they're working on (big possibilities) ...
                    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 2 December 2008, 08:40 PM. Reason: typo's !
                    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• John Winter
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Dec 2007

Chris - blog updated.... Sorry for the delay
                      --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                      X