• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Using a Reson8 Bell Box with Idratek

I have an alarm bell box (link below) that I wish to use as part of my Idratek system. How should I wire this to ensure all the functions of the bell box are used (tamper, bell and strobe)?

Thanks
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

just a thought - beware failure strategies ... both for functionality, and for being OK with the insurance company ...
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Viv
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Dec 2004

[QUOTE=Andrew Millne;8650]I have an alarm bell box (link below) that I wish to use as part of my Idratek system. How should I wire this to ensure all the functions of the bell box are used (tamper, bell and strobe)?

I should first say the following is given without warranty!

You first need to find out how this bell works. I would suggest testing it out before mounting on a wall etc. Try it out on a bench and use a pair of ear defenders :-)

I belive you should provide an external 12V supply to the hold off inputs of the bell. That is '12V supply +ve' to 'Hold Off +ve' this is the supply. Also '12V supply -ve' to 'Hold off -ve 'which will be considered ground i.e. Idranet ground.

When it refers to hold of it means holding of the bell from sounding due to lack of supply. That is it will sound if the internal battery is connected (J1) and you loose and external supply. It is via these connections that the internal bell battery gets charged. Best to test without J1 in place first.

I not to sure if your bell triggers on negative inputs to ground or if inputs get disconnected from ground. Anyway you should try connecting Trig- to ground and see if the bell sounds on connecting it to ground or removing it from ground.

Similarly the strobe STB- is connected to ground and again checked to see if it flashes on make or break.

I suspect the RTN- signal Tamper is connected to ground when secure. This means when the enclosure is removed the switch is opened.

Having established how it works you can then consider connecting it to the Idranet.

If we assume that the TRIG- is connected to ground to make it sound you will be using a relay to make contact to make it sound. Some Idranet modules have relays which are change over type. Meaning it has 3 connections. It will have normally closed contacts and normally open (this is referred to when the relay is de-energised). When the relay is energised the connections are in effect swapped. The normally open contact now becomes closed. However some Idratek modules have only normally open contacts, that is it only makes a connection when you energise the relays.

You now have to consider how you want it to work. For example if it needs to make a connection to sound the bell. We choose the normally open relay contacts. So to sound the bell the relay must get energised. This is probably the easiest. However if the Idranet is attacked the relay may not energise and therfore not sound the bell.

If a relay module is used with the normally closed contacts this means the relay must be energised so the bell produces no sound. Cortex will de-energise the relay to make it sound. If the Idranet wiring is attacked meaning the module looses power the bell will sound becasue the relay will de-energise.

What if the idranet buss is attacked or the PC or Cortex fails? It is possible to use a mode whereby Cortex sends messages in effect saying to the relay module in N amount of time de-energise the relay. But it keeps saying this to the relay so it never de-energises. If the PC is attacked then the module times out and the relay de-energise and sounds the bell. This method whilst more secure can be prone to false alarms if your system is not yet stable.

The Tamper input should be connected to a digital input. That input is then connected (in software via conenctions menu) to the panic trigger sources input for the alarm Bell (Cortex 24 will have more alarm functions).

If you intend to use the supply from the Idranet to power the bell be aware that the current for a bell can be quite high (at least the inrush). If you are using an Idratek IPS to power your modules make sure their is sufficent spare current on the spur. Alternatively power it from the IPS battery via a seperate fuse.

regards

Viv.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

just a question (!) ... why use the box - can't Idratek do all this by itself, and more (eg: connect to the 'net & activate more than just a bell) ??
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 15 November 2008, 07:45 PM. Reason: typos
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Andrew Millne
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Nov 2007

Thanks Viv that's a great help.

Chris...

I realise that activating the bell is just the start of what Idratek can do and do intend to fire other events (phone dialling, sms, email etc.) as well. I thought seeing as I already have this bell box it may as well be put to use. It should also serve as a good visual deterrent at the same time.
          Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• marcuslee
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Andrew Millne View Post
            Thanks Viv that's a great help.

Chris...

I realise that activating the bell is just the start of what Idratek can do and do intend to fire other events (phone dialling, sms, email etc.) as well. I thought seeing as I already have this bell box it may as well be put to use. It should also serve as a good visual deterrent at the same time.
            Hi Andrew,

Old thread, but I was wondering if and how it was finally implemented?

Cheers,

Marcus

Comment

Working...
            X