Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: HouseHeat system

Automated Home Jr Member

Default My Xmas Dreams Come True

In order to see if my investment in new boiler and modern home heating controls are 'worth it' I have been building a Gas Consumption Logger with RF link (un-finished as yet !!!).

Poking around the EQ-3 site I found :

http://www.eq-3.de/index.php?id=244&art_id=12614&L=1

Wow ! Just what I wanted for Xmas - but didn't get !

Automated Home Sr Member martynwendon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    In order to see if my investment in new boiler and modern home heating controls are 'worth it' I have been building a Gas Consumption Logger with RF link (un-finished as yet !!!)
    That makes two of us!

What Gas Meter do you have? Does it have a handy pulse output, or are you reading digits?

Since I already have an RFXCOM RF infrastructure, I went down the route of purchasing their RFXMeter and RFXPulse modules to count electricity, gas and water.

I guess it would have been cheaper to roll my own using PICs / Arduinos that I have here in abundance but I wanted something plug and play and my to-do list is already long enough without adding more projects to it!

Martyn

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    In order to see if my investment in new boiler and modern home heating controls are 'worth it' I have been building a Gas Consumption Logger with RF link (un-finished as yet !!!).

Poking around the EQ-3 site I found :

http://www.eq-3.de/index.php?id=244&art_id=12614&L=1

Wow ! Just what I wanted for Xmas - but didn't get !
    I did a similar excersise just before last winter. I replaced a 15 year old conventional gas boiler with an all singing all dancing gas combi and Hometronic with 14 HR80 valves.

I already had gas, power and water monitoring via Homeseer & RFXCOM so it was pretty easy to compare new with old. I also compare gas consumption against outside & inside temperatures.

Now the bad news: To recover the cost of the boiler and the HR80 valves (just over 2000) would take a very long time from savings in gas consumption.

I did monitor this using actual gas consumed rather than the cost and I recon to be saving about 10% over the old boiler and standard TRV's.

On the plus side, I suppose it is helping the environment a little, so it must be worth it.

Paul..

Quote Originally Posted by David Mylam View Post
    Hello

I have been looking with interest on the forum. I am part owner of HouseTech Solutions LTD. TEL 01367 860770. House Intelligence was owned by us but purely a web company. We have now moved all to the UK as it was impractical trading from abroad and most people wanted to deal with a UK based company.

Our web site is currently being updated and will be running again from about 10th Jan. We will be able to take credit card payments from this time. We hold plenty of stock in the UK. We can take payments before but will have to be via the banking system.

As for products there has been a good deal of problems with PC connect and we are not going to stock this. It has in our opinion a limited market. Boiler connect on the other hand is a popular seller as are our window sensors.

If you quote Automated Home on an email to me then we have decided as from Jan 1st will match prices you see from any companies selling our product. Our product does exactly the same as Conrads but does not have Conrad written on it it is plain with no writing on the front.

I hope this helps to clarify the points raised a little.

David Mylam dm@housetechsolutions.co.uk
    Hi David,

Thanks for the information, I've been using the HouseHeat kit for quite some time now and have ordered many times from the old house-intelligense web site, but more recently from Conrad as the prices were better.

I've a mixture of plain, Conrad and ELV kit at the moment.

Interesting that you say you've had reports of issues with the PC Connect (FHZ1300), I've not had any issues with mine, although I don't use the software that came with it.

Cheers,

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by sooty7 View Post
    I already had gas, power and water monitoring via Homeseer & RFXCOM so it was pretty easy to compare new with old.
    Hi Paul,

Can I ask how you achieved water and gas monitoring?

Electricity was easy here as the meter had a convenient pulse output LED. Gas is proving more challenging but I think I can get a count off one of the digits on the meter. I've been struggling with water though - I did get a pulse unit from the meter manufacturer to fit to it, but so far haven't been able to read any pulses from it

Cheers,

Martyn

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by martynwendon View Post
    Hi Paul,

Can I ask how you achieved water and gas monitoring?

Electricity was easy here as the meter had a convenient pulse output LED. Gas is proving more challenging but I think I can get a count off one of the digits on the meter. I've been struggling with water though - I did get a pulse unit from the meter manufacturer to fit to it, but so far haven't been able to read any pulses from it

Cheers,

Martyn
    No problem Martyn.

I have 2 RFXMeter devices giving 6 counters in total.

For electricity I use the RFXpwr with current transformer. I have calibrated the RFXWr to get it reading wihthin 1% of the utility meter.

For hot and cold water I installed 2 of my own meters with pulse output.
    Here's the links to the meters I used.
    http://www.smartpowershop.co.uk/prod..._pulse_output/

I installed the cold meter into the pipework where it enters the property and the hot meter in the hot feed from the combi boiler.

For gas, I have the Elster BK-G4 gas meter installed by the gas company. This meter has a place for the pulse counter to be installed which I obtained from here http://www.mytub.co.uk/product_infor...product=366935

The G4 gas meter does not have an LED or even 1 number that is a different colour, making monitoring with a photo sensor etc almost impossible.

The pulse counter is counting the last digit on the meter which is 1/100 of a cubic meter per pulse.

Paul..

Automated Home Jr Member

Default When do I get my money back ?

I did a similar excersise just before last winter. I replaced a 15 year old conventional gas boiler with an all singing all dancing gas combi and Hometronic with 14 HR80 valves.

I did monitor this using actual gas consumed rather than the cost and I recon to be saving about 10% over the old boiler and standard TRV's. On the plus side, I suppose it is helping the environment a little, so it must be worth it.
    Sooty7, the economics are a bit depressing ! I replaced my 20 year old boiler with a Worcester about 18 months agao and also fitted all new Danfoss TRVs. Last winter my gas usage was down by about 25% but Gas prices went up and my quarterly bill was about the same. As I fit a zoned system I want to see if there are further benefits but need more accurate daily gas consumption figures. I do feel that eventually there will be payback as the only way I see gas prices going is up !

No problem Martyn.

For hot and cold water I installed 2 of my own meters with pulse output.
    Here's the links to the meters I used.
    Thanks Paul, I think I may be going down the sub-meter route too as I can't seem to get anything useful off our water meter.

For gas, I have the Elster BK-G4 gas meter installed by the gas company. This meter has a place for the pulse counter to be installed which I obtained from here http://www.mytub.co.uk/product_infor...product=366935

The G4 gas meter does not have an LED or even 1 number that is a different colour, making monitoring with a photo sensor etc almost impossible.

The pulse counter is counting the last digit on the meter which is 1/100 of a cubic meter per pulse.

Paul..
    Ours is an old Parkinson Cowan meter, no sign of anything new from the Gas company yet.

I've been trying today to see if I can detect anything off of the little spinning red dial (1 revolution = 1 cubic foot), but haven't had much luck so far.

The least significant digit hasn't rotated around enough today for me to see all the numbers on it, so I can't tell yet if there's a reflective spot or not.....

Martyn

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by martynwendon View Post
    That makes two of us!

What Gas Meter do you have? Does it have a handy pulse output, or are you reading digits?
    The meter was replaced about a year ago with an Actaris G4. I have rigged up a infra-red reflective sensor to read the silvered digit zero. A PIC monitors and counts pulses and transmits to a PICAxe based logger which dumps a csv file. I STILL haven't finished it yet but dug it out before Xmas with the best intentions !

Another unfinished project is decoding the RF data from an Electrisave electricity monitor

http://forums.automatedhome.co.uk/sh...isave+protocol

Seems like I should just buy a RFXCOM system and be done with it like you have done !

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Actaris G4 Meter

Further to previous post it looks like the above meter should be 'ready' for pulse output facility ?

Anyone know if it is ?