• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • martynwendon
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Feb 2009

FHEM running on a SLUG (LinkSys NSLU2)

I wasn't happy with needing to have a PC on all the time in order to run the FHZ 1300 PC interface along with FHEM and my xAP FHEM gateway so I managed to get it working on a SLUG (LinkSys NSLU2) running SLUGOS 5.3

There were some basic instructions on the FHEM web site but they were for an older version of FHEM and were based on Debian Linux (I prefer SLUGOS).

The result is a low power (around 10watts) 24/7 heating controller offering the FHEM web interface and xAP gateway.

If anybody is interested I can pull together my scribbled notes and post them?

Martyn
    My Blog

Comment

• Kevin
      • Jan 2004

Oooh - yes please Martyn - sounds really great :-)

Is the xAP support sufficiently complete to allow full HouseHeat control from any xAP enabled home automation application ? Remind me .. does it implement the BSC schema ?

cheers Kevin

Just for info.. these are all xAP enabled HA control applications

Cortex (Idratek)
      MisterHouse
      HomeSeer
      HouseBot
      xAP Floorplan
      xAP Desktop
      Charmed Quark (beta)
      xLobby
      Premise (?)
      Girder

Barix Barionet (embedded controller)
      OPN Max (embedded controller) Slug based
      HomeVision (via xAP embedded gateway)
      Last edited by Kevin; 18 March 2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• martynwendon
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
        Oooh - yes please Martyn - sounds really great :-)

Is the xAP support sufficiently complete to allow full HouseHeat control from any xAP enabled home automation application ? Remind me .. does it implement the BSC schema ?
        I knocked up a quick and dirty xAP gateway in perl that talks to FHEM, it's pretty basic but works ok - it implements BSC and gives endpoint addresses like:

ahs.fhem.ahsmediaserver:bedroomthree.state.desired-temp
        ahs.fhem.ahsmediaserver:bedroomthree.state.measure d-temp
        ahs.fhem.ahsmediaserver:bedroomthree.state.thu-from1

It sends .event each time something changes in FHEM and periodically .info (both abusing the text= and displaytext= parts of BSC).

.cmd and .query are also supported for changing and requesting current values.

It still needs further development, there's very little error or sanity checking and there's definitely better ways to implement some of the functions.....but I've been running with it since about July last year and it's pretty stable.....and since it "works", finishing it off has fallen down my to-do list!

It's downloadable at http://www.aceshigh.net/xap/FHEM.zip

I'll post again later with the FHEM->NSLU2 how-to once I've pulled my scribbled notes together into something more meaningful!

Martyn
        My Blog

Comment

• martynwendon
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Feb 2009

I collated all my notes into a rough how-to, so anybody wishing to get FHEM and xAP FHEM running on a Linksys NSLU2 with an FHZ1300 USB pc controller can download them from http://www.aceshigh.net/xap/nslu2.txt

Any questions and I'll do my best to help!

Martyn
          My Blog

Comment

• HouseHeat
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Feb 2009

Boiler Connect

My Greener Home took the forum's advice and now stocks the Boiler Connect:

Comment

• autolog
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by martynwendon View Post
              I collated all my notes into a rough how-to, so anybody wishing to get FHEM and xAP FHEM running on a Linksys NSLU2 with an FHZ1300 USB pc controller can download them from http://www.aceshigh.net/xap/nslu2.txt

Thanks for this - I am now about to dig out my NSLU2 and try this out - I'll let you know how I get on

Presumably FHEM on the NSLU2 is accessed via a web browser?
              Last edited by autolog; 23 March 2010, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• autolog
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by autolog View Post
                Presumably FHEM on the NSLU2 is accessed via a web browser?
                I have done a bit more reading on this now an think I understand a bit more about XAP
                I suppose what I am ideally looking for is some way that I can have an App on my iPhone linking to the NSLU2 so that it can monitor / set the required room temperatures without the involvement of a PC - is this possible?

Comment

• autolog
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by martynwendon View Post
                  1st Question - probably of many - I have installed Slug_OS and have been following your notes. All seems to have gone well until I get to the following statement:
                  Code:
                  perl -i -p -e 's/XSUBPP \= \$\(XSUBPPDIR\)\$\(DFSEP\)xsubpp/XSUBPP \= \/usr\/share\/perl\/5\.8\/ExtUtils\/xsubpp/' Makefile
                  I get the error = Can't open Makefile: No such file or directory.

I suspect I have done something wrong and would welcome any pointers as to what to look for

Comment

• Kevin
                    • Jan 2004

I'm glad you've taken the plunge trying this out. I'm not at all familiar with Linux so knowing someone has walked through the instructions and got there will make me feel much more confident when I try it. Do keep us posted on your progress and any deviations you had to take.

I just need another NSLU2 as my first one is running xAP OPNMax.

K

Comment

• martynwendon
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by autolog View Post
                      1st Question - probably of many - I have installed Slug_OS and have been following your notes. All seems to have gone well until I get to the following statement:
                      Code:
                      perl -i -p -e 's/XSUBPP \= \$\(XSUBPPDIR\)\$\(DFSEP\)xsubpp/XSUBPP \= \/usr\/share\/perl\/5\.8\/ExtUtils\/xsubpp/' Makefile
                      I get the error = Can't open Makefile: No such file or directory.

I suspect I have done something wrong and would welcome any pointers as to what to look for
                      I updated the notes, please re-download them.

(The above command needed to be AFTER extracting the Device-SerialPort archive).

Hope the rest of the notes were all ok?

Martyn
                      My Blog

Comment

• pollocmc
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Feb 2004

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I'm about to order from Conrad and don't want to make a mistake

I'm planning to buy

3 x Radio heating thermostat FHT 80B-II (750407 - 89 £52.95)
                        1 x FHZ 1300 PC WLAN + MODULE + POWER PACK (646429 - 89)
                        1 x Heat relays FHT 8 W

My current setup is Combi boiler with 7 rads (6 with TRVs and a bathroom towel rail working as the bypass I suppose) controlled by a programmable timer in the hall.

My questions are as follows!

Why don't I want the RADIO-HEATING THERMOSTAT FHT 8 Set (570055 - 89 £44.51) or the RADIO HEATING THERMOSTAT FHT 8-II Set (560606 - 89 £39.99) from conrad as they are a fair bit cheaper?

Should I get the kit with the window sensor thing too?

Do I need the WLAN part for the FHZ thingy? Does it have an ethernet port otherwise and I can just stick in my node 0 (the towel cupboard!) and presumably it needs a power pack?

I obviously still want to control the heating of the other rooms with the existing programmer. Is this where the FHT8W comes in. Simply put it gets a parallel connection from the boiler and it can demand heat when the hall programmer isn't and vice versa.

Why other than expense don't I want the HomeMatic system? It looks exactly the same (mix and match protocol) just looks more consumer-friendly and dearer?

Eventually I want to control lighting etc but the fact I can take all this kit with me if I move sounds good. I'm on a mac too so what good (cheap/free!) software would be best. I saw reference to xAP and that lead me to xPL but my eyes glazed over a bit

I have a strong programming background but easier is always better where I'm concerned. And my life has taken a path as far away from all that as I could get.

Sorry again for going on for so long.

mark

Comment

• martynwendon
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by pollocmc View Post
                          1 x FHZ 1300 PC WLAN + MODULE + POWER PACK (646429 - 89)
                          620371 - 89 is a bit cheaper if you can live with a USB interface. You may be limiting your options software wise if you go for the WLAN version.

Why don't I want the RADIO-HEATING THERMOSTAT FHT 8 Set (570055 - 89 £44.51) or the RADIO HEATING THERMOSTAT FHT 8-II Set (560606 - 89 £39.99) from conrad as they are a fair bit cheaper?
                          These are receivers only on the thermostat so you'll not get any control of them.

Should I get the kit with the window sensor thing too?
                          Depends what you're overall goal is - I didn't need the window sensor since I already have windows / doors monitoring via other means.

Do I need the WLAN part for the FHZ thingy? Does it have an ethernet port otherwise and I can just stick in my node 0 (the towel cupboard!) and presumably it needs a power pack?
                          I use the USB interface version since it was known to work with FHEM. Using my xAP <-> FHEM gateway gives integration into other HA systems (e.g. xAP Floorplan, Homeseer, Housebot, etc)

I obviously still want to control the heating of the other rooms with the existing programmer. Is this where the FHT8W comes in. Simply put it gets a parallel connection from the boiler and it can demand heat when the hall programmer isn't and vice versa.
                          Again, it depends on what you're looking for. Each FHT thermostat has 2 on / off time zones with target and setback temperatures. They then talk to the FHT8W and tell it when there's a heating demand. Thus, in my opinion, an additional programmer is redundant since the FHT thermostats control the heating directly.

Why other than expense don't I want the HomeMatic system? It looks exactly the same (mix and match protocol) just looks more consumer-friendly and dearer?
                          For me, it was purely down to expense and the ability to integrate with other HA systems.

Eventually I want to control lighting etc but the fact I can take all this kit with me if I move sounds good. I'm on a mac too so what good (cheap/free!) software would be best. I saw reference to xAP and that lead me to xPL but my eyes glazed over a bit
                          The software supplied with the PC interface is Windows only I believe, but FHEM is written in Perl so can run cross-platform with ease.

I have a strong programming background but easier is always better where I'm concerned. And my life has taken a path as far away from all that as I could get.

Sorry again for going on for so long.

mark
                          No problem, hope this helps!

Martyn
                          My Blog

Comment

• pollocmc
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Feb 2004

Many thanks for taking the time to respond Martyn.

So if I go for the USB version I need something to mount it on my LAN is this where the Slug comes in and it can run any other functionality? (I can use the money saved to purloin one from ebay)

I understand about the FHT8W. What I was thinking was that at the moment I don't want to buy another 4 FHT80B for the 4 remaining radiators + automatic bypass(cost and to make sure I can get it all working first). The plan being the FS20 ones will go in bedrooms and my kids rooms only get used at weekends so the set point will be low in between times therefore possibly no demand yet I could be freezing my nuts off in the living room and have to get up and manually trigger a bedroom stat to get it to come on.

I know I should go the whole hog and be done with it but that's how it's set in my head!

mark

Comment

• martynwendon
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Feb 2009

Many thanks for taking the time to respond Martyn.
                              No problem at all!

So if I go for the USB version I need something to mount it on my LAN is this where the Slug comes in and it can run any other functionality? (I can use the money saved to purloin one from ebay)
                              Yes, the USB version would need either a host PC / MAC or a Slug. Although, even the WLAN version would still need something to run the software on for it.

I understand about the FHT8W. What I was thinking was that at the moment I don't want to buy another 4 FHT80B for the 4 remaining radiators + automatic bypass(cost and to make sure I can get it all working first). The plan being the FS20 ones will go in bedrooms and my kids rooms only get used at weekends so the set point will be low in between times therefore possibly no demand yet I could be freezing my nuts off in the living room and have to get up and manually trigger a bedroom stat to get it to come on.
                              I approached this from the other direction and implemented all the room based stuff first before I hooked up the boiler control.

This way, the old boiler programmer was still in overall control, but as I added FHT80Bs to each room, those rooms became more "efficient", but not at the expense of effecting heating in the remaining rooms.

Once I was happy with the control / set up of the individual rooms and the integration with the PC interface / FHEM / HA system I then fitted the FHT8W.

Even at this point though, I didn't actually connect it to the boiler inputs, I connected it to an input on one of my HA controllers so that I could log some data on the "demand" of the house. At that point I was already logging temperature data for each room over time, so it was useful to compare that information with when the FHT8W decided that it needed to switch the boiler on / off.

After a few weeks or so of tweaking I hooked the FHT8W to the boiler and haven't looked back :-)

I know I should go the whole hog and be done with it but that's how it's set in my head!

mark
                              My advise would be not to rush it, it IS a fair amount of investment after all.....although I'm glad I found the Conrad site after having only brought a couple of FHT sets from within the UK.

Martyn
                              My Blog

Comment

• Jack_Kelly
                                Automated Home Lurker
                                • Aug 2010

This has been an extremely useful thread - many thanks to everyone who's contributed so much useful info. Sorry for hijacking but I've got a question which I'm yet to find an answer to...

I have a house with a combi boiler and TRVs on all the radiators and I'm planning to use an FS20 system to control our radiators and our boiler. This would be a straight-forward installation.. but... To make matters more complicated, we are installing wet underfloor heating in our living room. Because we're using engineering timber floor boards, we have to ensure that the floor temperature does not exceed 28 degrees C (or else the 6mm solid wood top layer will de-laminate from the ply layer!). The underfloor heating manifold has a thermostatic mixing valve to keep the flow temperature at a constant setting of 36 degrees C but we need a separate control to ensure that the temperature at the top of the floor does not exceed 28 degrees C. Does anyone know if there's any way to add a floor temperature probe to the FS20 system such that the floor temperature will be kept below 28 degrees C? I've seen an FS20 Universal Thermostat - I wonder if that could be configured to work with the system somehow? Or perhaps, instead of using the FS20 wireless valve actuator, I could use an FS20 switch wired in series with a wired floor thermostat to control a wired actuator and the UFH circulation pump?

(I also need to control the underfloor heating's circulation pump somehow.)

I guess the desired behaviour of the system would be:

* IF room thermostat is below target temperature AND IF floor probe is below 28 degrees C then:
                                o open valve AND
                                o call for heat from the boiler AND
                                o run UFH circulation pump

Any help would be most welcome! This is all a bit confusing for my poor brain!

Many thanks,
                                Jack

Comment

Working...
                                X