Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: HouseHeat system

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    Kev - for XP I didn't have to 'make' anything, but I did have to install the CPAN module Win32-SerialPort for FHEM to function with ActiveState (the FHEM error log said it couldn't find it). On my XP system I downloaded the CPAN module and ran the Install.pl file with it, and that seemed to work. On my WHS (Server 2003) system, the Activestate package manager provided a Win32-SerialPort module for me - dunno why the difference.

To get MartynW's XAP/FHEM gateway running I had to provide some extra perl modules, in this case the package manager found them without problems.

Hope this helps - btw both my systems are 32bit.

Chris
    Thanks Chris.

I assume 'make' aspect may only be relevant to Linux so probably a blind alley I went down and not the cause of my issues.

If I'm in a Command Window and type fhem.pl I get:

Usage:
    as server: fhem configfile
    as client: fhem [host:]port cmd

I tried appending what I believe are the example config files (e.g.)

fhem.pl sample_pgm2

but it returns the same úsage' response. I guess I'm not providing an appropriate config file but can't see what I'm doing wrong! The sample_pgm2 when I look at it in notepad does seem to contain what is suggested goes into a config.

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers

Kev

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mehul View Post
    after reading this thread decided to take the plunge and order a whole load of thermostats, actuators and the FHZ1000 from Conrad-UK. however, i am not so pleased with it. The first couple actuators didnt actually work. even tried to adjust manually and one would not close. also disappointing that one cannot see the actual room temperature on the thermostat so you never truly know if it is really working. i am returning the kit and will probably wait for some improvements to these unless someone convinces me otherwise.
    I agree that it is disappointing that you can't see the actual room temperature from the room stat AFAIK. However, you can see it from the FHZ1000 controller.

Automated Home Jr Member

Kev,

I think the configfile needs an extension .cfg (at least that's the example in the HOWTO and that's what I did which seemed to work).

Chris

Automated Home Jr Member

Kev,

I think the configfile needs an extension .cfg (at least that's the example in the HOWTO and that's what I did which seemed to work).

Chris
    Thabks Chris,

I just tried that but no joy:-(

The HOWTO seems to say:

Install & start fhem with the command:
    make install-pgm2
    perl /usr/local/bin/fhem.pl /var/log/fhem/fhem.cfg

As you didn't use any make command, I'm still trying (in CMD window)

>fhem.pl sample_pgm2.cfg

both files are in the same directory. I also tried fhem.cfg but same result.

I'm clearly missing something but at a loss!

Automated Home Jr Member

From your earlier post the error message seems to be saying that fhem couldn't find the config file. I take this to mean that at least the perl interpreter is running and the fhem code starts, so you can't be too far away.

I also started with the pgm2 sample as a minmal config, I must admit that I renamed it fhem.cfg so that I didn't destroy the sample with my edits.

I have both the fhem.pl and and the .cfg file in the same directory. In a command window I navigate to the directory they are both in - so the window looks like:

C:\Program Files\fhem-4.8>

then I enter the command fhem.pl fhem.cfg

Fhem then creates a log file in the local directory and either exits or keeps running - either should provide some info on what's going on.

If you get the basic program running I'd be happy to share my config file.

Chris

Automated Home Jr Member

From your earlier post the error message seems to be saying that fhem couldn't find the config file. I take this to mean that at least the perl interpreter is running and the fhem code starts, so you can't be too far away.

I also started with the pgm2 sample as a minmal config, I must admit that I renamed it fhem.cfg so that I didn't destroy the sample with my edits.

I have both the fhem.pl and and the .cfg file in the same directory. In a command window I navigate to the directory they are both in - so the window looks like:

C:\Program Files\fhem-4.8>

then I enter the command fhem.pl fhem.cfg

Fhem then creates a log file in the local directory and either exits or keeps running - either should provide some info on what's going on.

If you get the basic program running I'd be happy to share my config file.

Chris
    Thanks Chris.

Yes, Perl interpreter seems to be running OK (I checked with some simple test programmes). I effectively have the same set up as you described except in root

c:\fhem4.8>

I redownloaded FHEM and re-extracted, then copied sample_pgm2 to the same directory and renamed it fhem.cfg but I still get the same Úsage'message. Indeed, I get this whatever I type after fhem.pl, so it looks like its not even looking for any parameters after the intial command?

Only other thing I can see may be an issue is my system associates any .cfg as a MS OUtlook Config file, though from command prompt I would not have thought this would make any difference.

If you only run fhem.pl with no following config file, do you see thé same úsage:' message that I see?

Cant be that far away from it working!

For reference my fhem.pl file is 53,642 bytes and fhem.cfg is 553 bytes (though by sounds of it you have added to your config).

Kev

Automated Home Jr Member

Kev,

running out of ideas here now - I've also the same outlook file association and it doesn't stop things running.

I tried the fhem.pl command without a parameter and indeed I do see the same usage message.

I've attached a simple config file that at least loads for me - I renamed the extension to get it into the message, just rename fhem.cfg and see what happens.

Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files

Automated Home Jr Member

Kev,

running out of ideas here now - I've also the same outlook file association and it doesn't stop things running.

I tried the fhem.pl command without a parameter and indeed I do see the same usage message.

I've attached a simple config file that at least loads for me - I renamed the extension to get it into the message, just rename fhem.cfg and see what happens.

Chris
    Thanks Chris, I just did save as fhem.cfg into same directory as fhem.pl and tried again..... but no joy :-(

If you get the same message I do without a config file, that at least gives me a clue and suggests my FHEM is running (to a degree) but for some reason mine doesn't seem to be even looking at the config file.

I'm also out of ideas now but thanks very much for trying to help me.

Anyone else any idea why FHEM may not be looking at a cfg file?

Cheers

Kev

Automated Home Sr Member martynwendon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevM View Post
    Thanks Chris, I just did save as fhem.cfg into same directory as fhem.pl and tried again..... but no joy :-(

If you get the same message I do without a config file, that at least gives me a clue and suggests my FHEM is running (to a degree) but for some reason mine doesn't seem to be even looking at the config file.

I'm also out of ideas now but thanks very much for trying to help me.

Anyone else any idea why FHEM may not be looking at a cfg file?

Cheers

Kev
    Hi Kev,

What OS are you using? If > XP then you may need to run the command prompt elevated to be able to pass command line options...

Try renaming the directory where fhem is to just "fhem" and then try:

perl c:\fhem\fhem.pl c:\fhem\fhem.cfg

from a command prompt.

Martyn

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by martynwendon View Post
    Hi Kev,

What OS are you using? If > XP then you may need to run the command prompt elevated to be able to pass command line options...

Try renaming the directory where fhem is to just "fhem" and then try:

perl c:\fhem\fhem.pl c:\fhem\fhem.cfg

from a command prompt.

Martyn
    Thanks Martyn, success! Well significant progress. I renamed from directory fhem-4.8 to just fhem and ran with full paths as you suggested. FYI I'm running under Vista.

I've an error mesaage (can't open .2010-01.log: Permission denied at c:\fhem\fhem.pl line 1372, <$fh> line 5 ) but at least its now reading the config file.

I'l take a look tonight (as supposed to be working on day job now!) as I recall expecting to have to change a ref to a serial port on windows, perhaps this is that error.

Anyway, major step forward so many thanks Chris and Martyn.

Cheers

Kev