Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: HouseHeat system

Automated Home Jr Member

Kev - progress at last! I think any serial port error messages would appear in the log. I've no vista experience, but I'd take the error at face value - the FHEM process isn't being allowed to open a log file.

Cheers

Chris

Automated Home Sr Member martynwendon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevM View Post
    Thanks Martyn, success! Well significant progress. I renamed from directory fhem-4.8 to just fhem and ran with full paths as you suggested. FYI I'm running under Vista.

I've an error mesaage (can't open .2010-01.log: Permission denied at c:\fhem\fhem.pl line 1372, <$fh> line 5 ) but at least its now reading the config file.

I'l take a look tonight (as supposed to be working on day job now!) as I recall expecting to have to change a ref to a serial port on windows, perhaps this is that error.

Anyway, major step forward so many thanks Chris and Martyn.

Cheers

Kev
    Check that the path in the config file for logs exists.

Under Vista you may need to run the command prompt as administrator to allow the session to create / write to files.

Martyn

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by martynwendon View Post
    Check that the path in the config file for logs exists.

Under Vista you may need to run the command prompt as administrator to allow the session to create / write to files.

Martyn
    Thanks, with a few tweaks to config file, I got rid of this error message. It's now logging into a file, so at least I can see what it's trying to do. I've got to do some day job stuff for the next few days so I'll pick it up again at the weekend. I'll let you guys know how I get on and thanks again. Hpefully not that far to go now!

Kev

Automated Home Jr Member

Default FHZ 1300 PC Software in English

As the next step in my home heating project I have bought an FHZ 1300 PC USB interface from Conrad (brilliant service). It is supplied only with German language PC software.

Can anyone point me to English software (and instructions) or do I have to use the FHEM software ?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    As the next step in my home heating project I have bought an FHZ 1300 PC USB interface from Conrad (brilliant service). It is supplied only with German language PC software.

Can anyone point me to English software (and instructions) or do I have to use the FHEM software ?
    You can try this:

http://www.housetech.dk/pcconnect/

which has a link to an English version (plus manual). I could not manage to get this version to connect (under vista), though you may have more luck. Let me know if you get it working.

My software capabilities seem to have left me recently, as I've been making hard work of getting FHEM to run... though thanks to help from Chris and Martyn, think I've just about got there!

Kev

Automated Home Jr Member

KevM,

Thanks. I had already found this download but it reports 'wrong hardware for this version of software' !

Unfortunately HomeHeat UK no longer support the FHZ 1300 as they report it was problematic. See below:

Quote Originally Posted by David Mylam View Post

As for products there has been a good deal of problems with PC connect and we are not going to stock this. It has in our opinion a limited market.
    David Mylam
    From other reports in this thread it looks as though installation of FHEM will not be too much fun ? I am in the same situation as you are:

Quote Originally Posted by KevM View Post

I've eventually had to admit defeat in getting FHEM installed under windows. I'm a harware guy but can normally cope in a windows environment - Linux is new to me but most of the documentation relates to this.
    It is a pity that RFXCom do not support these products ?

Looks like I need a crash course in german !!

Automated Home Jr Member

KevM,

Thanks. I had already found this download but it reports 'wrong hardware for this version of software' !

Unfortunately HomeHeat UK no longer support the FHZ 1300 as they report it was problematic. See below:

From other reports in this thread it looks as though installation of FHEM will not be too much fun ? I am in the same situation as you are:

It is a pity that RFXCom do not support these products ?

Looks like I need a crash course in german !!
    Hi Mike ,

You are getting the same error message I had. I think its a flawed conversion when they treid to translate the german original, as I did get it working with the german equivalent - though as you say, that requires a crash course in German!b I never found any other English version.

Actually, I'd say FHEM seems fine to install for most people, just for whatever reason I've been struggling. So I'd say have a go with FHEM and if you hit problems it's likely I've encountered them along the way and may be able to help!

Good luck,

Kev

Automated Home Jr Member

Kev,

Thanks for your offer of help - are you running FHEM under Windows as that is what I would prefer ? I Hhve only 'dabbled' with Linux.

I assume that the error message was to ensure that it only worked with the hardware purchased from Househeat /

The USB driver reports OK and it connects OK with the German version software OK but I just can't navigate around in German.

Automated Home Jr Member

Kev,

Thanks for your offer of help - are you running FHEM under Windows as that is what I would prefer ? I Hhve only 'dabbled' with Linux.

I assume that the error message was to ensure that it only worked with the hardware purchased from Househeat /

The USB driver reports OK and it connects OK with the German version software OK but I just can't navigate around in German.
    I'm now (after much help from others on this forum!) running FHEM under Windows Vista. It took me ages to get to this point, with several blockers and red herrings along the way. The instructions / faq's are very much for Linux, which I've nil experience in, and the Windows guidance was light on detail for a relative novice. Anyway, last night I just about seem to have FHEM with webfront end controlling one of my FHT80b's.

My final hurdle (or obvious mistake!) was I had previouisly set the FHT80b's up with a FHT1000 Housemaster (self contained master control). FHEM could read temp from the FHT80's but appeared not write any commands. It transpires each FHT80 was registered to my FHT1000 Housemaster and so ignored commands from the FHZ1300. I 'deregistered' one of them and it immediately picked up a command. So I guess I can't have both!

As far as the german software is concerned, I figured out enough to set it up to test and had it registered and controlling the FHT80's - not easy enough to use day to day but a good system check.

Unfortunately I want my system linked into Homeseer, so FHEM is only my first step. At this rate I have several more weeks of efforts to go and probably will be back asking for help on this forum :-)

Let me know how you get on and I can share my experience with Windows and the help I was given by others.

Kev

Automated Home Jr Member

I have now installed the FHT 8W Demand Control Heating Relay and my system is now under 'Conrad' control. It is proving to be very flexible.

However, I do have one issue which I am wondering whether anyone else has resolved. I am (was) intending for all radiators to be have FHT 80B Thermostat/Actuator controls.

I still have three radiators left to do but I have to drain the system down to fit thermostatic valves on these and am therefore waiting for the temperature to increase a bit before I do this - just in case there are problems and I have to do without the heating. I have simulated the intended system by turning off these remaining radiators.

What I have found is that when the room stats tell the actuators to close, the radiators turn off (as expected) and when all radiators are off the FHT 8W Demand Control Heating Relay turns off but the boiler/pump continues to run for a short period of time - I figure this is due to the three-port valve taking time to close. During this time, the pump is trying to pump water round a system where all the radiators are off and it is quite noisy. I have temporarily resolved the isssue by leaving the towel rail radiator on in the bathroom. This approach does mean that I am wasting some heat.

I am wondering whether there a recommended way of resolving this?