Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: HouseHeat system

Automated Home Lurker

Are those messages relating to the communication between the 1300 and the NSLU or between the 1300 and the FHT80s (i.e., which log do they show up in)?

Have you tried connecting the 1300 to the PC and running FHEM in your Ubuntu VM? Presumably you can assign individual USB devices to a VM in VMWare like I can on my Mac.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by inqie View Post
    Are those messages relating to the communication between the 1300 and the NSLU or between the 1300 and the FHT80s (i.e., which log do they show up in)?
    Between the 1300 and the NSLU2.

Have you tried connecting the 1300 to the PC and running FHEM in your Ubuntu VM? Presumably you can assign individual USB devices to a VM in VMWare like I can on my Mac.
    No I haven't yet but that is a good approach. I was thinking to try the s/w that came with the 1300 (running in a WinXP VM). If that works, to try FHEM in Ubuntu and then back to to the NSLU2. I am hoping it is something silly that I have done but I haven't had time to go back and recheck - a mini-project for the next few days

Automated Home Lurker

Forgive me is this is obvious, but have you tried a different USB cable?

Automated Home Jr Member

Forgive me is this is obvious, but have you tried a different USB cable?
    I have but following your prompt, I tried another one with the same result i.e. still getting the CRC errors.

However, I have now got it working in the XP VM using theFHZ1XXXPC software that came with the device. It sees all 10 FHT 80B's and I can control them which is very encouraging

So the next step is to try and get FHEM working in the Ubuntu VM. I have a suspicion that it might have something to do with how the TTYUSB0 device is configured. The CRC errors and bogus messages are consistent in format which implies that it isn't a random error and also the fact that it works in windows suggests the actual hardware is OK. I shall have to do some reading / investigation on how the TTYUSB0 device is set up.

Automated Home Jr Member

A somewhat belated reply to this thread but I have finally got FHEM working on my NSLU2 using Linux Ubuntu and am using my iPhone to view the room temperatures

The problem I was having with CRCs is I think due to a bug in Linux (see this thread - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/655868)

My solution was to install an older Linux build (version 2.6.28-19-ixp4xx #66-Ubuntu) pending this issue being fixed.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by autolog View Post
    The problem I was having with CRCs is I think due to a bug in Linux (see this thread - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/655868)

My solution was to install an older Linux build (version 2.6.28-19-ixp4xx #66-Ubuntu) pending this issue being fixed.
    Ooh thanks for that. I'm just about to migrate my FHEM setup to a new server so I'll have to watch out for this one.

Automated Home Sr Member wywywywy's Avatar

Hi.

I have read the entire thread but I am now even more confused!

Currently I have a system boiler with a programmer, an analogue thermostat, and 6 radiators/rooms that I want to control. Standalone to start with, replacing the current programmer, then add PC control from my home server later on when everything is working.

So do I buy...
    5 x Radio thermostat FHT 80BTF saving set Part no.: 646463 - 89 (60 each)
    1 x Wireless heating control FHZ1000, 1 room Part no.: 617500 - 89 (80 each)
    1 x Heat relays FHT 8 W Part no: 560098 - LN (85 each)
    1 x FHZ 1300 Radio Home Centre PC Part no.: 620371 - 89 (130 each, eventually)
    Is this right?

But, what is the difference between a FHT80B and a FHZ1000? Do I really need a FHZ1000?

Is there a kit with FHT 80B plus the TRV, without the window sensor? Just to save on cost. Their search isn't helping.

Forgetting the USB interface, the total price is dangerously close to a Honeywell CM Zone system isn't it? In terms of reliability, is there any difference between the two?

And also, how is it going to control hot water? Or am I going to have to keep the programmer?

By the way Conrad's website is really rubbish in finding stuff!

Thanks.

Automated Home Jr Member

As a minimum to properly get you started, you'll need 1 of these per zone you want to control:

http://www1.conrad-uk.com/scripts/wg...=4&navi=oben_2

You need 1 of these per radiator:

http://www1.conrad-uk.com/scripts/wg...=4&navi=oben_2

You then need:

1. A computer controller (FHZ1300 or a Busware CUL1100 device for around 40 quid, see my blog for more on this)
    2. A boiler controller (FHT8W)

Hope that clarifies?

Russ
    Last edited by russell_allen; 22nd November 2010 at 09:38 AM.

Automated Home Sr Member wywywywy's Avatar

Thanks. Especially the tip about the Busware CUL. Very interesting info, but will probably be a bit more time consuming than I had originally anticipated.

So I *don't* need a FHZ1000, right?

Thanks.

Automated Home Jr Member

The FHZ1000 is a central control unit that I believe allows you to from ONE unit control all of the thermostats centrally, if you're happy to manually program each room, and if you're going on holiday manually turn 'em all off, then you don't need it.