X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hoo View Post
    I've been watching this thread in the hope that someone would have some luck with controlling the Househeat devices.
    The price of the system is good - and I haven't decided against it yet. It's affordable for experimentation.

What I'm finding difficult (aside from the German) is pulling together information and deciding what interacts with what and who is actually producing and selling which bits . As such their interest in allowing protocol or API access has different priorities and different companies only represent certain product ranges. eQ-3 seem to be the main designers.

The on the air protocol seems to be recoverable and reproducible using the TI chipset so that's one possibility - the DLL another assuming that software application works with this system - and reverse engineering the USB protocol another. There are several variants of the USB interface however (only 1 on the UK site) which concerns me .

The lack of response to emails is not encouraging.

K
    [edit] One criticism of the over the air protocol raised on that website was that it had no security, encryption , end point validation or sequencing - and that consequently commands could just be learned and resent. Assuming that actually you're not concerned with the ramifications of this within your home then this helps the cause in hacking the protocol or using something like RFXCom to be able to listen/send commands. I wonder wether Bert at RFXCom would be interested in supporting it in RFXCom - with maybe even a specific separate product (I'd buy one).
    Last edited by Kevin; 14 January 2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• andy_p
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2009

from contronics.de:

For Home Matic is a highly secure transmission method (AES) used, including safety-critical functions such as window and Türfunktionalitäten possible. The system is fully bidirectional: it "knows" the central states of all the actuators and sensors. The communications can be made through the specially designed for wireless home automation reserved area of 868 MHz and / or through a Leitungsbus done.
      so the new "Home Matic" system doesn't have the insecurity of the FHZ systems; you'd better get in while you can.

I did find a german forum (probably run by ELV, a reseller) that lists a load of different systems, and attempts to make sense of all the different proprietary systems, which you might find useful.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Maybe the guys at RFXcom can help. They are always very approachable. If it could be done by them then this would open up all sorts of possibilities.
        Bert are you listening.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Hoo
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2009

So does anyone know if the Househeat system is the old open protocol or the new secure one?
          It looks like Househeat is just some pretty standard German devices, rebranded for the UK. I'm now wondering if I'd be better off tackling the German and getting devices from over there that I know are the old protocol. Considering Househeat's lack of response to enquiries, I wonder how secure the company is. I want to buy a modular system that I can expand later, but if the only company that produces a compatible module goes under, I'm left with a system that can't be expanded.

Comment

• Kevin
            • Jan 2004

I am now in communication with them - or at least their sales office in Denmark. They were most helpful and sounded interested in the questions I asked and have asked I email them and they will get the appropriate people to respond. I'll keep you updated.

The HouseHeat system does not integrate with the HomeMatic system btw. In a way that may make them more willing to consider opening up HouseHeat for integration with 3rd party applications as they must see that being an island with no integration possibilities limits their market.

K

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

Hi Kevin can you PM me their email address please.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Kevin
                • Jan 2004

The sales guy - who was contacted via their web page email is sending my questions to a tech guy to respond - so when he does I'll update you..

K

Comment

• connoleg
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Oct 2006

From the Homeseer site:

Apparently someone worked out the protocols for the house intelligence stuff.

Bert does that help you guys @ RFXCOMM???

Comment

• Kevin
                    • Jan 2004

I don't think RFXCom are aware of this product or this thread... maybe somone could contact Bert if they are interested...

The reverse engineered protocol is also an older one I believe (unfortunately the link you posted is bad.. do you have some new info ?).

On the more positive side I am in contact with a HouseHeat tech guy and they have an XML interface on the horizon - and the HouseHeat system does integrate with HomeMatic so you can use their API/DLL. However you need those extra components of course.

K

Comment

• connoleg
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Oct 2006

Comment

• toscal
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                        The sales guy - who was contacted via their web page email is sending my questions to a tech guy to respond - so when he does I'll update you..

K
                        The Danish webpage address will do fine.
                        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Kevin
                          • Jan 2004

The email contact is via the UK website address . If you ring their UK telephone number it diverts to someone in Denmark - that's the only reason I know they are located there.

K

Comment

• connoleg
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Oct 2006

Homeheat price increase

I spoke with the sales guy today and he mentioned that the prices are about to go up on the website and that anyone thinking of ordering should do so very soon.

Comment

• HouseHeat
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Feb 2009

The HouseHeat products are now available from a UK based website too: http://www.househeatshop.co.uk
                              As the full range of UK specified products come in, they will be listed over time (including the PC Connect and Web connect products).
                              The site has plenty of useful documentation, including the valve adaptor fittings that are required for some of the Thermostatic Radiator Valves.

Comment

• HouseHeat
                                Automated Home Lurker
                                • Feb 2009

HouseHeat site in the UK

It was pointed out to me that the HouseHeatShop site was not live. The products are being sold instead from the main UK store at My Greener Home:

Sorry for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X