• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • easytim
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2008

X10 - I cannot filter out noise from my computer

I cannot filter out noise from my computer, I have tried two different types of X10 noise filters. My X10 does not respond at all when my computer is plugged in, even with the computer plugged into the X10 filter.

I used the X-10 FilterLinc 10-Amp Plug-In X10 Noise Filter (didn't work)

I have even tried two X10 filters back to back (double), still no luck

I need a better filter, does anyone have any ideas?
  • sjrixon
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2007

How about putting the PC on a UPS?

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Is it just the computer you have on the filter or do you have things like the monitor filtered as well.
      Some older types of UPS systems can also play havoc with X10. But saying that the newer one coming out seem to be better. I have a 1000VA UPS on my server and this hasn't caused any problems.
      I take it from the fact you have a Filterlinc that you are living in the States.
      Do you have any kind of PC to X10 interface. As this could be a possible problem area when the PC is switched on, maybe locking up the interface with constant traffic.
      Do you have anyway of monitoring the mains noise.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• easytim
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by toscal View Post
        Is it just the computer you have on the filter or do you have things like the monitor filtered as well.
        Some older types of UPS systems can also play havoc with X10. But saying that the newer one coming out seem to be better. I have a 1000VA UPS on my server and this hasn't caused any problems.
        I take it from the fact you have a Filterlinc that you are living in the States.
        Do you have any kind of PC to X10 interface. As this could be a possible problem area when the PC is switched on, maybe locking up the interface with constant traffic.
        Do you have anyway of monitoring the mains noise.
        I did have it on a UPS with filter, then with no UPS just filter. With no luck
        I do have a bigger 1000VA UPS , I will try putting the PC on that one. I'm using the cheap Radio Shack X10 modules. I have tried several different ones.

I live in the US

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

I take it you have the filter connected in line with the PC. Sorry to ask such a simple question.
          X10 transmits its data pulses on 120KHz.
          So a way to fault find X10 is to use an AM radio tuned to an unused frequency near the low end of the dial (around 550 to 750kHz or so). A noise source near 120kHz will often generate 4th, 5th and 6th order harmonics near this AM band. 4th harmonic of 120kHz is actually 600, 5th is 720 and 6th is 840kHz. Carry the radio with you and move it near AC outlets while listening to the noise. The louder it is, the closer you are to the source. Use the noise to guide you, and you'll hopefully find the source of the noise. It may be that you have a few noisy items and when you turn on the PC this then takes it over the threshold.
          Last edited by toscal; 19 November 2008, 10:53 AM.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• easytim
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2008

I got it to work

110ac > filter> UPS 1000 watt > filter > computer

I used a 1000VA watt ups instead of a 850 watt I got from Best Buy,and I used 2 filters

Works perfect

Comment

Working...
            X