Visonic Powermax Plus - what is the best option for my windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lisa
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2008

Visonic Powermax Plus - what is the best option for my windows?

Hello everybody,

I'm buying and installing my first home alarm system ever so I'm totally clueless. I decided on buying a Visonic Powemax Plus kit since it seems to be getting good reviews, however I have a question. I have sliding aluminium patio doors like these:

http://www.duration.co.uk/alipatios.asp (but with grids like in the next link)

Both partitions move so I was told the magnetic door contacts wouldn't be suitable. My question is this: should I get the clip curtain PIR's, the Discovery Quad or the Impact sensor?

Do you recommend something other than the Visonic Powermax? My brother in law suggested Yale.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by Lisa; 19 November 2008, 10:36 PM.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

You could still use door sensors, just be careful with their placement. What you could do is use one door sensor and wire in a normal wired door sensor. The visonic door sensor has a set of terminals for just this purpose.
    You may want to look at the powermax Pro. Its virtually the same as the plus but can have the GSM and Powerlink modules inside the case rather than outside like for the plus. It can also use proximity fobs near the panel to turn it on or off. There are also 2 way key fobs so you get a bit more feedback from your fob than before. got to www.visonic.com
    The last time I looked at Yale security stuff I wasn't that impressed. But that was about 2 years ago.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Just found some more links for the Powermax Pro.

Also the Dominal from Honeywell looks quite good. http://www.security.honeywell.com/uk.../co/index.html
      Last edited by toscal; 20 November 2008, 04:07 PM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Lisa
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2008

Hi toscal, thanks very much for your input. I will look into the Powermax Pro. About the door contacts, I was told by the salesman selling the system that they may not work with my patio doors, he recommended the clip curtain PIR's. I'll go read up on the Pro system, thanks

EDIT: Powermax Pro is a bit out of my budget, and the Domonial does look good but is also quite expensive and also seems to be too complicated to install I also read people touting Galaxy as being the best. To be honest this is all very intimidating and confusing lol. This is all compounded also by the fact that I am in Egypt so whatever I choose will have to be DIY and reliable as I won't be able to get any installers or professionals to fix any problems. I do like the Domonial though...this is very difficult!
        Last edited by Lisa; 20 November 2008, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Nov 2007

You may be able to use the recessed variety door contacts with the magnets in the door ends and the reed switch in the frame. I know Everest Aluminium patio doors etc. are supplied with custom door contacts, your supplier may have something similar.
          Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

I've fitted Visonic door contacts on aluminium garage doors, wrought iron style gates, aluminium double glazed windows. All work fine. All signals are good.
            The only thing is that if you screw them onto the frame you may invalidate any warranty you have with the window company.
            Sunny hot Egypt. Or probably not that hot it was freezing when I was in Alexandria a few years ago.
            Is the system being fitted in Egypt or the UK.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Lisa
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Nov 2008

Andrew, I think I'm limited to Visonic door contacts?

toscal, I've just learnt some exciting news - there's a Bosch dealership in Egypt! I really like the Bosch easy series, as it's the weekend here I won't know anything till Sunday unless they contact me tomorrow, some companies open Saturdays. I couldn't find any prices online though. I hope it's not too expensive, but then I would be saving on postage costs and customs (my brother in law will be in the UK for Christmas but the system apparently weighs 7kg so he was a bit reluctant about bringing it back with him )
              Is it good?

Yes, the alarm system will be installed in Egypt, but Cairo is warmer than Alexandria, and less humid.

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

Just had a thought it might be better to stay away from the Visonic as its made in Israel (well probably China), and I don't know how the Egyptians are with someone importing Israeli made products.
                Don't know anything about the the Bosch easy series.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Lisa
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Nov 2008

Actually I've seen a few made in Israel products here, there is trade between the countries. If I do go for the Visonic, I hope it's not another made in China product

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

Whats wrong with China.
                    Anyway the Visonic is very good, my only 2 gripes are the user and install manual can be hard to read and understand in places and the panel has a slight plasticy feel to it. The pet friendly PIRs actually work very well. out of the three clients that have pets only one has had false alarms. And these where caused by one of their cats leaping about 30cm away from the PIR. They where jumping onto a cupboard and then down again, the cupboard wasn't there during the original install. We relocated the pir and they haven't seen another false alarm.
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Lisa
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Nov 2008

Nothing wrong with China, I just have some concerns about certain made in China items. I haven't had many great experiences with made in China products to be honest I'd rather buy an alarm system made somewhere else. A friend of mine working in China told me they make high and low quality products, the problem is the lower quality products tend to be the most available due to their cheaper prices...Apparently the good quality stuff is very good.

I'm waiting for the Bosch agent here in Egypt to contact me, hopefully they'll have the wireless Easy Series and give me more info (prices, options etc). I think it would be easier to find a good alarm system that I could buy locally and have it professionally installed. I have read several comments about the Visonic manuals and it sounds like a rather daunting task for someone totally clueless like myself Haven't ruled out the Visonic yet.

UPDATE: Just got told by Bosch's agent here that an easy series panel with 8 magnetic door contacts and 2 pet immune PIR's will cost the equivalent of 3000 GBP!
                      Last edited by Lisa; 1 December 2008, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X