Thread: Cortex Vista sidebar gadget

Automated Home Jr Member Simon George's Avatar

Default Cortex Vista sidebar gadget

Hi,

I've developed a (very) simple Vista sidebar gadget that can be used to monitor a Cortex instance running on a separate machine and display some useful information.
    Currently this is just inside and outside temperature : I've attached a screenshot so you can see how woefully simple it is at the moment
    It works by using .net remoting to talk to a modified version of the C# Cortex api sample running on the Cortex box which then talks to Cortex itself.

I can see a lot of scope for this in future (for me at least), maybe by showing different (and configurable) information on the sidebar but also as a way for external applications
    (eg. Windows Media Center) to show and control Cortex information using a simpler user-friendly gui.

If you interested in having a go with what exists at the moment, here's how to install it from the attached zip (a certain level of geekness is assumed at the moment, sorry !) :

On the Cortex box (only tested with XP) :

- first install the .net framework 2.0
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    - copy CortexRemotingServer.exe to the box and (with Cortex running), start it.
    - select "unblock" on the windows firewall dialog to allow external communications from the gadget

On the Vista box :

- copy CortexRemotingClient.dll somewhere suitable
    - open a command prompt as Administrator
    - cd to where you copied the above dll
    - run "regasm /codebase CortexRemotingClient.dll" (ignoring any warnings)
    - double click the gadget to install it to the sidebar

Configuring the sidebar gadget :

- open the settings dialog
    - change the IP address to that of your Cortex box
    - change the "inside" and "outside" temperature names to whatever you have them called in your Cortex setup
    - click ok to save the settings

If you have problems - and this is far from a fully tested application - let me know.

Simon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice concept. Would save me having to login to the dedicated Cortex server for info. I'll have a play when I'm not at work

Automated Home Jr Member Simon George's Avatar

Forgot to say that you'll need to enable the temperature sensors in Cortex to expose them to the Cortex API and thereby the gadget. See the API section under "How to ? advanced topics" in the help to do this...

S

Automated Home Ninja Andrew Millne's Avatar

Hi Simon,

did you manage to get any further with this? I'd be quite interested in displaying pir states in the sidebar.