• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bomber1965
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2008

Home Networks

I am looking at installing the above in a new build (in progress) and wish to pipe Internet, Sky, Phone and Audio to most rooms.

I have seen a number of posts on various systems on here:

Network Sciences
    Abitana
    Wiselan
    Smarthomes - found on net search - from ireland
    Leviton ?

Has anyone experience on each of these so they can draw an unbiased comparison - saving me some time and possibly the wrong decision.

I would be using an installer opposed to doing it myself (assuming money stretches.

Cheers all and ty.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I love Abitana but then I'm slightly biased towards this. As I install it.
    The company is very helpful and Minitran in the UK is also very helpful and friendly. www.minitran.uk
    What I like about it is virtually everything is contained in the comms cabinet. All your distribution modules etc go in there and at the room end you may need a small RJ45 to connector type adapter. These are just slightly bigger than an RJ45 plug.
    All registered Abitana installers have to do a course. This just doesn't cover installing the stuff but also some signal distribution theory, how digital TV works and how basic computer networks are put together.
    The Abitana system is easy to use. I normally take about an hour to hour and a half to explain to the client,how to patch the various signals to the rooms. And sometimes the odd client may need a little refresher about a month later. But that's about it.
    My advice is to look at what you think you need in each room and what you want to do in each room. Then add at least 2 more connectors to each room. And think about what your future requirements will be, not that easy to do I know sometimes.
    Then take a look at who provides the best solution for you. Also another thing to look at is customer service. We have won a few installs solely based on our customer service.
    Good luck in your quest.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Bomber1965
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Nov 2008

Thank you, thats useful stuff.

In my experince customer support is always important.

Picking up some more stuff on here the cabling is quoted as expensive - but looking at literature it says you dont need the coaxial element of other systems for TV dist - does this means the cost of cabling evens out.

Have you any idea of how this compares to maybe the Network Sciences Product in overall cost?

Thanks again..

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

As for cost co-ax costs about 35p a metre and CAT5e is about 20 to 30p a metre this is for low smoke insulation. and Abitana's cable is about 91p a metre. Though in my experience the Abitana cable seems to be of a slightly better quality than some CAT5 cable that I have used.

Do you have any links for the Network Sciences stuff.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Bomber1965
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Nov 2008

Link attached:

Has anyone else any comments to add ?

Comment

• pocky
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Oct 2007

Also have a look at HomeNet from either www.britishhomenet.com or www.singlepointnetworks.co.uk

Cable is a higher quality that allows cable sharing for up to four services per cable and it allows TV signal - even native 2.1GHz SAt - on all 4 pairs (as compared to abitana who can only do it on one pair per cable and no native SAT signal)

Comment

Working...
            X