• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roland
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2004

Modular Wallplates

hello everyone

i've almost finished installing a structured cabling system in my house, and am nearing the point where i need to consider the finishing touches, namely finding and deciding on the type of wall plates to install at the ends of each node.

the cables i'm running are two CT100 cables for audio/video and two CAT5e cables for network and phone.
    i wish to terminate the CT100 cables using 75ohm female BNC sockets and the CAT5e cables using RJ45 sockets.

i've looked a lot around the 'net for modular systems that will allow me to mix the connectors i want, but there's not much information on people's experience in the UK with these products. for instance:
    • - MK in the UK make a range of extremely flexible single- and double-gang faceplates that can be used on standard UK back boxes.
      - Belkin in the US offer a reasonable range of modular products, but their UK website doesn't appear to offer everything that the US one does.
      - Leviton seem very popular in the US.

minor things like back boxes and where to source those seems to be an issue too: my local electrical wholesaler isn't likely to carry US style back boxes, for instance.

i would be very grateful for feedback on people's experience in selecting, sourcing and installing modular wallplates in thier own home projects. any information on distributors or supplies would be helpful too.

also, are there any building regulation issues in using US products in the uK?

thanks
    paul clark
    (a.k.a. roland)
  • milkattable2
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2004

Re: Modular Wallplates

Paul,

I've just done this very same thing... I put two cat5's and 12 audio & video cables in a uk double gang face plate.

How I hear you cry.... well I popped into BEW electrical and tried to purchase the MK modular stuff... "hmmm expensive" I was told, "why don't you try our own range". So I purchased: -

1 Double gang modular face plate.
    2 Cat 5 modules
    and 4 half blanks.

I then drilled the half blanks and put 3 gold phono sockets in each, then once mounted I just soldered the cables to the back of the phono's.

The face plate, modules and blanks cost about £12 inc vat :-)

The gold phonos cost about £25 for 12 off inc vat :-(

Hope that helps & let me know if you want a picture?

Regards
    Steve.

Comment

• Kemik
      • Mar 2024

Guys,

Might be a dim question but to make things easier couldn't you just run CAT5 and then use ballums to break out the audio/video?

or check out http://www.kat5.tv they seem to do some funky face plates

Comment

• milkattable2
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Sep 2004

Yes we could, but as the cable was free :-) I don't think i'd have gotten it any cheeper by doing that :lol:

Comment

• kirstyfuller
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2004

Dissertation questionnaire for existing automated homeowners

My name is Kirsty Fuller and I am currently writing my third year dissertation project for the University of Gloucestershire on automated homes and whether - due to the slow development of the technology, considering the concept of it was developed in the fifties - whether it has an integral place in the average domestic home.

I saw your post on the Automated Home Forum concerning your automate dhome technology and was wonderinng whether you could help me with my research by completeing the following questionnaire and returning it to me at s0207596@glos.ac.uk.

If you have any questions before or during completing the questionnaire, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Thank you
          Kirsty Fuller

1. What type of home do you own?

Apartment [ ]

Semi-detached [ ]

Detached [ ]

2. Was it a self-build?

No [ ]

Yes [ ]

3. How many bedrooms does you home have?

One [ ]

Two [ ]

Three [ ]

Four [ ]

More than Four [ ]

4. How long have you had automated technology integrated into your home?

Less then a year [ ]

One-two years [ ]

Two-three years [ ]

Three–four years [ ]

Four- five years [ ]

More than Five years [ ]

5. What type of automated technology do you have in your home?

(please state)…………………………………………………………………………..
          …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………………

6. Why did you choose to incorporate smart home technology into your home?

Potential economical savings [ ]

Ecological Benefits [ ]

Security Benefits [ ]

You have an interest in
          Modern technology [ ]

A Friend had it [ ]

Other [ ]
          (please state)……………………………………………………………………………. …………………………………………………………………………….…………………………………………………… ……………………….………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………..
          …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……………………………………………….

7. Do you feel integrating automated technology into your home has had a significant benefit to the running of your home?

No [ ] - Go to question 4

Yes [ ] - Go to question 3

8. If ‘Yes’, in what ways do you feel the running of your home has benefited?

Economical Savings [ ]
          (for example, you have automated motion-detection lights which save money as they turn themselves off when no one is in the room)
          Please state……………………………………………………………………………. …………………………………………………………………………….…………………………………………………… ……………………….………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………..

Ecological Benefits [ ] – Go to question 5
          (for example, as in the example above, you have automated technology which is beneficial to the environment, eg, automated light which turn themselves off when not required- saving fossil fuels)
          Please state……………………………………………………………………………. …………………………………………………………………………….…………………………………………………… ……………………….………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………..

Security Benefits [ ]
          (for example, once again as in the previous examples, you have motion detection lights which, when turning on would give you an earlier warning of intruders)

Please state..……………………………………………………………………………. …………………………………………………………………………….…………………………………………………… ……………………….………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………..

Other [ ]
          (please state)……………………………………………………………………………. …………………………………………………………………………….…………………………………………………… ……………………….………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………..

9. If ‘No’, are there any specific reasons you feel this is so?

No [ ] – Go to question 7

Yes [ ] – Go to question 7

10. If you feel that integrating automated technology into your home has had economical savings, do you feel that these savings have outweighed the initial costs of the technology?

No [ ]

Yes [ ]

11. Do you or any members of your house-hold have problems using the automated technology integrated into your home, in particular user-interfaces?

No [ ]

Yes [ ]

12. On average, do guests adapt to using your automated home technology, in particular user interfaces?

Yes [ ]

No [ ]
          (please state types of problems they encounter)…………………..………………….. …………………………………………………………………………….…………………………………………………… ……………………….………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………..

Yes [ ]

13. Did you find the automated technology incorporated into your home easy to use from the onset?

Yes [ ]

No [ ]
          (please state types of problems you encountered)……………..………………….. …………………………………………………………………………….…………………………………………………… ……………………….………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………….……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………

14. Finally, do you have any comments you would like to make on how beneficial you have found integrating automated technology into your home has been and how easy you and guests to your home found adapting to the technology.
          …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ..……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……..………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………..…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………..……………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……………………..………………………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………..…………………………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………..……………………………………………………………………………………………… ……………………………………..………………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………..…………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………………..……………………………………………………………………………… ……………………………………………………..………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………..…………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………………………………..……………………………………………………………… ……………………………………………………………………..……………………………………

All information given in this questionnaire will be treated anonymously and with complete confidentiality in accordance to the Data Protection Act. However, if you do not object to being contacted, through email, for more information on your thoughts and feelings on your automated technology, please supply your name and email address below.

Name…………………………………. Email………………………………………..

Thank you for taking time to complete this questionnaire

Comment

• vex
            Automated Home Guru
            • Feb 2005

Hi Roland / Paul

Legrand Electric also offer a range that fit into a standard uk back box and white uk style faceplate.

It is called Mosaic and any Legrand stocking electrical wholesaler should be able to get it for you.

Have a look at www.electrika.com/legranduk/ and click on mosaic
            www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
            NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• CableTie
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jan 2005

Steve have you got a pic of the end result sounds like just the job

Paul
              http://www.kendal-i.co.uk

Comment

• milkattable2
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Sep 2004

Paul,

Here u go...

Note it was a little tricky getting a close up at this time of night :-), I pulled some cables out so you could see the front plate better...

Let me know if you want a better picture.

Regards
                Steve.

Comment

• CableTie
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jan 2005

No thats fine mate, a picture is worth a thousand words and I now know the path I will be following. Last time I modified a blank plate I found them to be a real pig. Thats a nice tidy job

Cheers
                  paul

Comment

• vex
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Feb 2005

They are very nice and neat Steve.

Paul, If you don't want to go through the hassel of building your own, I have a local guy who can get two phono /rca or speaker terminals onto a full width unit.

No way near as dence as Steves, but he has them mounted on a 'ikle circuit board with screw down terminals on the rear rather than solder tags.

Far easier to handle if you can't cope with a soldering iron!
                    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
                    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• CableTie
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jan 2005

Cheers for the offer Vex. I will give it a go myself first but if I get stuck I will shout. Soldering Iron aint a problem its the facias that give me the grief. :lol:

Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X