• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pn125
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2008

'Remote' remote IR

All,
    My new lounge is just about to be built & I have a question regarding remote IR. On my new plastered clean wall I only want to mount my Santa delivered plasma TV, all my other equipment - DVD,Virgin Box, Video, etc I want to put in my Node 0 rack about 10m away. I intend to use an 'all-in-1' IR controller but want to know how the IR can be sent over 10m with no line of sight, also would I have to use multiple transmitters stuck to each piece of equipment ?
    Regards,
    Paul.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I can recommend the harmony 895 from Logitech. This comes with a wireless IR extender module. So you can either have IR coming from the remote or from the wireless module. Also on the module is 4 IR ports. You can plug in the supplied IR emitters to these ports. Unlike many IR repeater modules, you can also configure which one of the ports will work with the selected device on the remote. Each remote emitter has 2 IR emitters, so can be stuck on 2 pieces of equipment, their range is quite good and I have one emitter about 8 to 10cm away from the piece of equipment it is controlling. They have a little sticky on the back so they can also be stuck onto the equipment.
    As for range I know it will cope with an indoor range of at least 6m and that's going through 2 solid concrete walls.
    My only gripe is that you need to be connected to the internet to set up the remote, and any changes require that the wireless extender has to be connected to the pc, even if the device isn't going to use it. But the actual set up process is painless and quite fast. Just select device type, manufacturer, model number and just follow the instructions on the screen and normally that's about it.
    It has some nice features. On mine I've set it up so that you see the actual channel logos on the screen and you just press the button next to the logo to change channel. Much easier to remember than the channel number. The other feature is the activity settings. So when you watch a DVD the remote can be programmed to turn on the DVD, set up the TV and other bits of electronics etc.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TimH
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by pn125 View Post
      All,
      I want to put in my Node 0 rack about 10m away. I intend to use an 'all-in-1' IR controller but want to know how the IR can be sent over 10m with no line of sight,
      I use this system:

and use a spare run of coax to send the IR back to the equipment cabinet. This works for Sky, but its also a universal IR extender so I can control my CD player etc. as well.

I'm also going to get one of these:

as flat panels can (apparently) interfere with some IR extenders.

HTH,

Tim.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• pn125
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2008

Thanks guys,
        Will take your advice - Must get Santa's gift working for the big day ! & if not said already ' Happy Christmas !'

Comment

Working...
        X