• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

thanks, Tim ...

wonder if the SIM card (PAYG) ever expires - not had one here, but ISTR they last not all that many months ?
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 6 May 2009, 07:19 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• TimH
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2004

Yes, that does sometimes happen. T-Mobile did it to me when I didn't use my phone for 6 months (was only for emergencies, and I didn't have any... ). Whether you have to make a chargable call, or just receive calls to keep the SIM active I don't know. Part of the unit's operation is / can be that it doesn't actually answer the phone, just used CLID to initiate a response.

Maybe it can be configured to send out a heartbeat SMS once a month or something?

Cheers,

Tim.

p.s. nice too that there's a UK outlet now.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• Quantek
        Automated Home Lurker
        • May 2009

Once a SIM card is activated it will not expire, however network operators will disable the SIM if it is not used to make a call or send a text message within a time frame, I believe Vodafone is 9 months. So to keep the SIM active you simply send the GSM-AUTO a text command asking 'what is the signal strength' and it will reply by text message, just need to remember to do this every few months. The automated idea is a good one, will look into it.
        Terry

Comment

• Quantek
          Automated Home Lurker
          • May 2009

Originally posted by Quantek View Post
          Hi
          The GSM-AUTO is £139 inc VAT, no power supply included, available from www.quantek.co.uk
          If you have any further questions post them here
          Terry
          Quantek Systems Ltd
          Now available to buy online here is the link

Comment

Working...
          X