• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TWH
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2008

Visonic Powermax questions

A couple of questions as I'm looking to get a visonic powermax plus or pro to install at home.

First of all, is the pro any harder to install than the plus (only because all the sites that sell the pro seem to say it's for professional installers only). As far as I can see they shouldn't really be any different as it's just a newer control panel?

Also, is there a big difference between the two. I know the pro looks a bit sleeker and some of the optional modules can be installed internally rather than externally, but other than that, are there any other features that make it work spending a fair bit more on it over the plus?

My final question is should the main panel be hard-wired into the mains. The installation diagrams seem to suggest that it is just plugged into a normal socket like any other appliance, but it is actually more advisable to hard-wire it so it's not so easy to disconnect, or is it fine to plug it in and make sure you've also got a backup battery should it be unplugged?

Many thanks for any suggestions.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I would go for the pro. It has some extra features such as proximity tags for arm and disarm. The key fobs are 2 way, though the normal Powermax plus fobs also work. Plus it looks nicer.
    Normally just plugging the unit into the mains isn't a problem. The unit could be fitted in a cupboard and use one of the wireless LCD keypads. After all if the house is broken into, the alarm has already been triggered, and the bell box and panel are making noise. The battery backup should last for a minimum of 8 hours. So unplugging the panel won't actually achieve anything as it will still go off. Plus you either get a text message or a phone call to tell you the power is off.
    Which ever one you go for I would get the PC interface as it makes programming much easier. Far simpler to programming the unit via a windows interface than the tiny LCD panel. The only thing you do have to do via the panel is the sensor programming, but everything else can be done via the Pc software, such as phone numbers, abort delay, entry and exit delays. assigning zone names to the sensors. And then editing the custom zones to what you want.
    What sort of price have you been quoted for a Pro.
    You can get a kit for under 300 pounds http://www.diy-alarms.co.uk/catalog/...roducts_id=707
    Which seems to be about 20 to 30 pounds more than the Plus kit.
    Last edited by toscal; 18 December 2008, 01:18 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TWH
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2008

Yeah, I have been leaning towards the pro despite the extra cost.

I'm looking at getting the basic package (2 proximity fobs, one PIR K9-85, and one door contact) plus another K9-85 to start with. The prices I've found on diy-alarms and triton fire systems are about £305 for the package and extra sensor. I'll probably also get an extra keypad and backup battery on top of that as well, and the pc kit. Are those pretty good prices from what you've seen?

Also, is it worth getting the two way wireless keypad, or is the oneway more than enough to have near the front door?

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

It all depends on what you want. The 2 way keypad replicates the LCD display on the panel, plus it has a speaker in it as well so when the internal siren goes off (on the panel) I think it goes off on the 2way key pad as well. The 1 way keypad looks more like a remote control than a keypad.
        I have seen slightly cheaper here in Spain but then the panel would have a Spanish voice. Then add on the postage etc and it works out about the same price.
        The K9 pir sensors are excellent and actually work. I have clients with cats and dogs and they don't set the alarm off.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TWH
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2008

Thanks very much for the advice. I opted for the one way keypad for now - can always upgrade at a later date if it doesn't suffice.

Just ordered the kit so hopefully should be here on Monday, then I can get down to the fun bit of installing it all!!!

Comment

Working...
          X