• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthias2007
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2008

Two-way Light Switch and X10

I wonder if anyone can suggest a solution for my X10 lighting problem? In my hallway I have two-way switches (on at the top of the stairs, one at the bottom) that I would like to use with X10. Every other light in my house is already controlled by X10.

I thought that I could replace the switch at the bottom of the stairs with a LW10U and place an SS13 RF at the top of the stairs, but what would I have to do with the existing switch at the top of the stairs? Is this a non-starter?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I have a 2-way switch set up in my lounge. It is quite easy to do but I used an LW12 In-Wall Lamp Module and momentary switches. The switches are connected in parallel.
    The way I worked it out was to see which wires went to the 2 switches and then which wires went to the light. Drew a wiring diagram and then used that to help decide which switch would house the micro module.
    If you are going to use an LW10U then the switch at the top of the stairs needs to be disconnected, thats all. But check first which switch feeds the light. While both switches control the light only one of them will have wires that go from the switch to the light.
    This site has nice diagrams on how the switches are wired up in a normal 2 way set up.

And this one shows the alternative way they maybe wired up.
    Last edited by toscal; 19 December 2008, 11:44 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• matthias2007
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2008

OK, my problem is actually a bit more complicated than described above. I have included a diagram in the attachment that may make more sense. Can someone with a little more electrical knowledge than me help out a (relative) noob?

Thanks and great appreciation in advance.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by matthias2007; 1 February 2009, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Will get back to you with a possible solution this weekend.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• matthias2007
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2008

Toscal - you're a star. I would REALLY appreciate your help on this one. If you need any more information let me know.

Comment

• franktate
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Feb 2007

Mat, have a look at this diagram. It may help. I downloaded a similar one for my 2 way lights but I can't seem to find it.

On a similar topic, the micro-module I bought from hk trips when I wire the remote switch. I think I will get an electrician to have a look.

Frank

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

matthias
              Your attachment doesn't make sense it contains an XLS file and a word document regarding mail merge and assessing pupils progress.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• matthias2007
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by toscal View Post
                matthias
                Your attachment doesn't make sense it contains an XLS file and a word document regarding mail merge and assessing pupils progress.
                I'm sorry - really embarassing - wrong attachment! I was waiting desperately for your reply as well! Thanks for your time Toscal, I was hoping to try to fit the switches today.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by matthias2007; 1 February 2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

Here you are hope it makes sense to you, and good luck
                  Attached Files
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• matthias2007
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by toscal View Post
                    Here you are hope it makes sense to you, and good luck
                    Thanks Toscal, I'm going to attempt this in the next couple of days. From my diagram/photograph is it possible to determine which is my "live" wire and which two wires go directly to the lights? I want to make sure I connect the wires up correctly.

Comment

• toscal
                      • Oct 2005

Not really. Use an electricians neon screwdriver or a volt stick to determine the live. Oh and remember the connection from the switch to the module are just contact closures. So no mains connections to the switches. These wires are underneath the module.
                      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X