Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Displaying alerts on the DFP2 (Traffic)

I don't think it's the hub.. As Viewer is running on the same machine as the hub and displaying messages , and assuming that Viewer does not indicate it is running as the hub in it's title bar (?) then the xFX service hub is installed and running fine. Even if previously things had started in the wrong order , as long as Cortex wasn't occupying the main xAP port (3639) then the hub would see Cortex as soon as it sent a heartbeat and start relaying messages to it. It may be that Cortex never tries to occupy the main port anyway - which is now our recommendation.

Just to recap the curr=? value will only be updated after a SpeedFan xAP message is seen on the network - so either you have to wait for SpeedFan to send an update or you can resend it manually from Viewer.

With the enabling of logging of 'HA Networks' in the diagnostics you should see entries similar to the following every time that SpeedFan message appears on the network

11:23:16 XAP Message received
    11:23:17 XAP Message received
    11:23:17 PC.status Controller XAP Match address
    11:23:17 XAP OnUpdate. ANameValuePair.XAPName =curr
    11:23:17 SpeedFan

11:23:18 XAP Message received

Do you get each of these 4 entries ?

K

No I don't get anything like that in the Cortex window.

I am waiting for new Speedfan messages to be broacast into xAP (hell I'm used to waiting as I work with Exchange all day long ;o) and then going to Cortex to see if the curr is updated or anything is in the communication window.

Currently, I'm at work (arghhhh), so I can't check the viewer status bar. I'll check this out tonight on my return.

Really appreciate you help with this. I took screenprints last night from your text so I just need to write it up as an exmaple which will hopefully be useful to others as well.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    No I don't get anything like that in the Cortex window.
    Well we need to get that bit working - so you see the 'xAP Message received' indications... it looks like Cortex isn't hearing xAP traffic (as you said)

I am waiting for new Speedfan messages to be broacast into xAP
    If you double click a SpeedFan message in Viewer then in the bottom left corner of the message window you will see a little grey/orange radio mast icon - if you click that then the message is immediately resent on xAP - saves waiting... (you can also edit the message here before resending it - or indeed paste any new xAP message)

I am in tonight until around 9pm - and then tomorrow I am around all afternoon/eve ( if that helps .. as I'm guessing you'll be at home...) .

We'll get it working for you... maybe not this year though ;-)

K

A couple more things to look at

If you right click > Behaviour.. the HA Network object under PC >Communications - you should see a window with a receive and transmit pane that each update realtime showing all sent and received xAP messages... ?

- xAP is enabled here isn't it ?

Double check xFX hub is 'running' in the services list - and just to be sure stop and restart it

In the reg details pane under General Features 'HA Networks' is listed as present ?

Do you by any chance have dual IP network interfaces installed/enabled in the Cortex PC ?

K
    Last edited by Kevin; 31st December 2008 at 01:07 PM.

Yipppeeee it is now working. But of course like all bad techies I made half-a-dozen changes at once so not sure which may have been the root cause.

- Although I don't have two network interfaces the Bluetooth dongle I bought for running the xAP Blue application is seen as a network interface card. To make matters worse it bound itself first in the binding order. So I have moved this down the binding order and removed TCP/IP from being bound to this device

- xAP Blue application also runs as a service and I have a feeling it starts before xFX Hub, it has no dependents. For now I have set the service to manual.

- I took Cortex out of the Startup group so I could control startup in the order I wanted

- I did nothing to Cortex

On restarting the server the XfX Hub started without a problem (confirmed this by looking at the xAP Event Log ). I then started the xFx Viewer program (did not register as a hub), then restarted Cortex.

I now see the temperature on the Cortex DTS object that I previously mapped to the xAP interface for Speedfan.

Many thanks for your help

Paul

Yipppeeee it is now working.
    Paul
    Great stuff :-)

I wonder what the problem was before - I'm suspecting that one or other of the xAP applications was binding to that Bluetooth interface perhaps. Most recent xAP applications shouldn't grab the xAP port even if they do start before the hub (a recommended design change a couple of years back)

Would be interesting to see if the xAP Bluetooth 'proximity' application proves useful in terms of room occupancy for Cortex. You would just create a virtual PIR type sensor in Cortex for the BT receiver in one of the rooms (and careful placement such that the sensor only detects in that room)

The fact that it is actually identifying a specific person (well phone) wouldn't be used as such but may have other applications for say announcement routings, call/music following or something.

Let us know if you do anything interesting here with multiple Bluetooth sensors.

K
    Last edited by Kevin; 1st January 2009 at 12:36 PM.

You mean like something interesting apart from identifying everyone in the street with a BT phone. Hey maybe if the post-woman has a BT enabled phone then it can alert me to her approaching and I don't miss her ringing the bell

Automated Home Lurker

Is Xap Blue able to measure Bt signal strength, I know homeseer can. if it could then based on this it would be easy to set a level that would ensure it would report presence if the BT phone was in the room (eg within 3 meters etc) then possible with 3 BT Dongles an exact position could be achieved with triangulation ? This would give excellent presence detection and uses would be limitless to me.

From experience in using radio navigation/positioning systems I would suggest using 4 bluetooth dongles. Three is the minimum you need for triangulation (hence the name I guess), but if the signal on one dongle is very weak or intermittent you may not get a good fix. Plus with 4 you can just take the 3 with the strongest signal and use this to get a position. In a large house you may need even more.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Why not nine and triangulate the triangulates? SHould I get my coat?