• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Speech recognition issues - mic muted

Trying to get started with the speech recognition functionality within Cortex but for some reason there is no input from the microphone. Intercom behaviour works between two panels fine but i don't think Cortex is receiving audio when waiting for speech input.

The windows sound mixer shows the microphone as muted and I can't click to unmute it.

Testing with a mic direct will be awkward to say the least as I am using remote desktop.
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

Try the following:

Whether you are using or not ensure that you install the SAPI 4 speech engines and spchapi.exe from the IDRATEK Downloads | software page.

In the World level Recognition object menu set up the correct intercom and telephony engines (via Engine Selection tab in both cases - suggest you do not touch Options or training menus at first). Also select the correct audio source - this will typically be sound card for intercom engine and modem line for telephony engine. You will probably have to use the free MS telephony engine for telephony recognition.

Visit the Set-up | Sound card mixer to check the Speech recognition settings. The Record controls should just have Microphone checked (in this case meaning enabled). The Play controls should have only the Volume/Wave type of controls unchecked but Microphone and others checked (in this case perhaps confusingly meaning muted)

Comment

• Andrew Millne
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Karam View Post

Visit the Set-up | Sound card mixer to check the Speech recognition settings. The Record controls should just have Microphone checked (in this case meaning enabled).
      Thanks Karam, I think this is where the problem lies. The area for record controls is not showing record controls but multi-channel controls (Front Speaker, Rear Speaker, Center and LFE). I suspect this is a compatibility issue with my sound hardware (Vinyl AC'97 Wave on a Jetway Via Mini-itx board).

The windows sound mixer properties dialogue shows 3 radio buttons one for playback, recording and other. Other provides a dropdown with multi-channel controls.

Is cortex using the OS options but selecting the wrong properties set somehow?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Andrew Millne; 30 December 2008, 02:44 AM. Reason: added screenshot

Comment

• Andrew Millne
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Nov 2007

I'm still stumped on this one, can't get Cortex to display the recording checkboxes at all.

Comment

• Karam
          Automated Home Legend
          • Mar 2005

Investigating ...

Comment

• Gumby
            • May 2004

I also moved to a new platform with new sound driver at the same time as upgrading to v24 and similarly have no record controls.
            ----------------------
            www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Andrew Millne
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Nov 2007

Now fixed in Cortex 24.0.1

It seems a few things were coming together to prevent me using speech recognition but these are now all sorted. Firstly as you say Gumby I had no way of manipulating the recording controls. Secondly I had to slightly modify my 19" case so the jack would actually go fully into the mic socket and thirdly my sound cards software was set to use the front panel microphone socket which I don't have (Still have a slight issue with this as it keeps getting re-checked after a system restart hopefuly a sound card software update will resolve this).

Thanks for the speedy Cortex update guys!

Comment

Working...
              X