How often does Cortex crash / freeze - never, maybe, or ... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

How often does Cortex crash / freeze - never, maybe, or ... ?

If it never crashes, then great ... if just occasionally, then I guess it will happen when people are out / away / asleep ... in which case some sort of auto' restart might be a good idea ... on-condition, once a week / Sunday 2am, whatever ... does restart need manual intervention and, if-so, can this be done remotely (via mobile 'phone / e-mail / link) ?? Given that many seem to be putting the PC hosting Cortex in the roof or garage, this can't often be a problem ... on the other hand, the current cold spell is encouraging me to think cautiously (frozen pipes, jpdw OH type issues, etc) ...

any thoughts / experience ??
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 7 January 2009, 03:55 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • n07tv
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2004

Chris,

I've been running in for 5 years on a dedicted laptop (which acts a printer server and nothing else), Win XP Home and never crashed once.

3 electricity supply cuts in that period and it recovers fine.

Had a couple of issues once when the laptop had to be re-started due to a VNC lock-up but then that had nothing to do with Cortex. I think there is a pretty good recovery mechanism in it and a little monitor called Defribrilator that keeps an eye on it.

Works for me.
    N.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

N -
      that's good news, especially the power-cut robustness ...

ie: no need to worry !

Chris
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Paul_B
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2006

Cortex has never crashed on me either. The server is running Windows 2003 on a Mini-ITX platform and has been pretty solid (it also running as a domain controller, Exchange server and SQL server).

If every there is a problem it is during startup and that is normally because the Remote Desktop session has screwed up the sound card.

As n07tv stated Defribilator takes care of lockups and will reboot the server (never has for me). You can also setup a "watchdog" so that if the timer is not reset by Cortex the IdraNET resets to Reflex functionallity

Comment

• jpdw
          Automated Home Guru
          • Oct 2007

Although I had one mystery stoppage (I think I mentioned it somewhere) when I logged onto the PC, Cortex itself was running and I didn't get the chance to investigate further. I later realised that "automatic [network start] on program start" was disabled [**]. If this had been enabled, chances are I'd never know there had been an issue.

[**] at the time, I assumed this was as a result of my messing... but I just checked my 24.0.0 install and it's disabled again... maybe an Idratek default ?
          Jon

Comment

• Karam
            Automated Home Legend
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jpdw View Post
            [**] at the time, I assumed this was as a result of my messing... but I just checked my 24.0.0 install and it's disabled again... maybe an Idratek default ?
            Not to my knowledge (yet). Can you double check: select the auto start option, save the database, stop network and exit Cortex then re-launch and look to see if the option remains selected

Comment

• Gumby
              • May 2004

I stress-tested auto restart to death without realising it :-)

I had a dodgy memory stick and regular crashes. I didn't realise until I set up emails to report Cortex restarts and discovered what was going on. With a clean machine restarts can be very quick.

Left alone (on a decent platform) Cortex is very stable.
              ----------------------
              www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• jpdw
                Automated Home Guru
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Karam View Post
                Not to my knowledge (yet). Can you double check: select the auto start option, save the database, stop network and exit Cortex then re-launch and look to see if the option remains selected
                No doubt (in my mind) that autostart works a treat. My thought was whether this option is turned off in a default installation. Since I enabled it, I have upgraded from 23.x.x to 24.x.x which required a de-install -- so perhaps putting this back to default? either that or, as I suggested, maybe I turned it off again for "good reason" but forgot.
                Jon

Comment

• KirasHome
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Oct 2006

Like Paul B, I run it on a mini-itx board with Windows 2003 Server. The box itself runs Cortex, runs SquezzeServer and acts as a file server. I've found it to be extremely solid. Can't remember it ever crashing. Prior to the installation of the UPS it survived various power outages and restarted it's self automatically. Post UPS installation the only restarts have been user initiated for upgrades etc.

Jamie

Comment

Working...
                  X