Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: usb to serial

Automated Home Jr Member

Talking usb to serial

Hi all
    Thought i might try and find out if and when the adapter could be ready and if it will be usb or ethernet.

ron

I haven't heard anything but from previous emails I think it is something they are working on

Automated Home Jr Member

That would make things a lot easier in terms of a wider range of hardware.

Automated Home Jr Member

Although there is a possability of ethernet to serial, trouble is ive bought a eee box and it has no serial port bah as it has a very low power consumption, and is small.

I tried a couple of different Ethernet to Serial devices with no success (Lantronix and Digi) as well as three USB adaptors. In the end I had to add a serial card into the PC - which was a shame as it too is a limited expansion type machine - had only one slot available. This meant I couldn't add the voice modem card :-(

K

Was stalled, back to working on it ...

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Karam is it going to be ethernet or usb, and do you have any idea in respect of time frame of availability. Ive purchased a Eee Box on the basis of it low power usage to find that i am unable to use it. I am holding off updating to the latest major update as i would like to put it straight onto the Eee Box.

We're experimenting with both. There are a number of small but nevertheless important details to resolve before a final product becomes available. RS232 may be old technology and sadly virtually extinct in standard spec. PCs, but it provides more direct control of signals and less 'dross in between' to go wrong for an application which needs to run reliably at all times without human intervention. Though our intention is to bring out at least one of these alternative interfaces, I think we may also be heading towards providing a dedicated computing platform solution in future. I'm sorry but I can't give you a time frame at the moment because I know from past experience that until well researched, minor details have a nasty habit of turning into sizeable obstacles. I will update this thread when we have greater confidence.

Automated Home Sr Member

Default No more serial

To ressurect and old thread...I'm looking at replacing my Dell server with a low power PC however most now don't contain Serial RS232 ports.

Is it possible to use a USB->Serial adaptor, or there something coming from Idratek that will use USB natively?

My server uses about 200W, and I'm keen to reduce that to 50W or below.

Cheers

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by spellinn View Post
    ...low power PC however most now don't contain Serial RS232 ports.
    Most of the Mini-ITX boards from Via and Jetway have RS-232 ports and consume around 30W or less

...Is it possible to use a USB->Serial adaptor.
    No, not from others comments and experience

..., or there something coming from Idratek that will use USB natively?.
    Possibly, some rumours and product seen in Cortex would suggest that a USB and Ethernet connection maybe in the works, but who knows